Zapruder Film of JFK Assassination--Very Graphic With Steve's permission, I am posting the most historically significant home movie ever taken: Abraham Zapruder's film of John F. Kennedy's 1963 assassination in Dallas. Be aware that the fatal shot is very, very graphic. (Zapruder's film is silent; the sound effects were added later.)
Tags: Zapruder  film  JFK  assassination
Added: 9th December 2008
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-12-10
The schoolbook depository where Lee Harvey Oswald supposed fired the fatal shot is behind the car and to its right (about 'five o'clock' in aviation terms). It seems obvious to me that the fatal shot clearly came from the front and right of the car (about 'two o'clock').
Posted by: Barbikins on 2008-12-10
OH, man...I was only three years old when this happened. What I remember about it was that I was playing with something on the floor in front of the television when Walter Cronkite interrupted the broadcast with a special bulletin. Mom was in the kitchen (where she usually was) and I remember how shocked and distressed she looked when she heard what Walter Cronkite was saying, and then how she cried.
Posted by: Steve on 2008-12-10
Funny how we remember where and what we were doing when we heard. I was playing with my toy cars, mom was ironing. Barbikins' mom was exact to my mom's reaction!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-12-10
My mother was seven months pregnant--with me!
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-12-11
Wow Lava, you really made me feel ancient! I was a sophomore in high school when JFK was shot. We were just going into our 6th period Biology class and the teacher asked all of us to sit down, that she had something to tell us. Twenty-eight students were crying like babies on each others shoulders, it was unforgettable. Later, when I got off the school bus and walked down the block to my home, my Nonna had the tv on with the newsfootage and she was broken-hearted as well. It was all so very sad.
Posted by: ChowDog on 2008-12-11
I was in 2nd grade when it happened. My teacher was called out of the room and just left us kids to fend for ourselves. When she came back she laid her head down on her desk and started crying. I remember only to well walking up to her and putting my arm around her and asking what was wrong, then she told us. Shortly after school was canceled for the rest of the day and my dad came and picked me up. We got home and my mom was a basket case. I'll never, ever forget that day....
Posted by: Wikiriwhi on 2008-12-28
wasn't so graphic. But Jackie Kennedy was trying to escape from the car because the agent in front fired a shot at Kennedy. other wise she would've dived for the floor out of sight.

she was trying to escape one of the gun men in her vicinity.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-12-28
The first time I saw the famous Zapruder film I asked a history teacher what Jackie was trying to do after the fatal head shot struck JFK. He said Jackie was trying to retrieve part of her husband's skull that had been blown off. Maybe she was trying to get out of the car for safety reasons. I wonder if anyone ever had the courage to ask her.

Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-12-13
When I was in Dallas this past August I made a special trip to Dealy Plaza to check out the assassination site. It was a freaky experience. Most people were walking around aimlessly, saying nothing, but constantly looking at the picket fence, the grassy knoll, and the book depository building. You could tell they were trying to come to their own conclusions.

The book depository building is now The Sixth Floor Museum. It is the second most visited tourist attraction in Texas. Only the Alamo gets more visitors.