First World War Casualty Laid To Rest Canada's most famous First World War battle occurred at a French salient known as Vimy Ridge. Heavily defended by veteran German troops, the Canadians brilliantly took the ridge on Easter Sunday, 1917. Some 3,500 Canadians were killed in the action. One's remains were found a few years ago, identified through DNA, and laid to rest in 2007.
Tags: Vimy  Ridge  casualty  First  World  War
Added: 11th November 2008
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-11-11
Very emotional to his family I'm sure. Thanks for posting this Lava.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-11
Canada had a population of about six million people in 1914. More than 60,000 Canadians died in the First World War. About a third of them have no known grave.
Posted by: donmac101 on 2008-11-11
This still astounds me that so many years after the war to end all wars these brave souls are still being unearthed. My great Grandfather served in that war and carried his meddles with a pride that gave his face such a glow.
Posted by: donmac101 on 2008-11-11
My spelling needs looking into. I meant medals. Although he did have a wicked sense of humour.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-11
Several skeletons are accidentally found each year on First World War battlefields, much the case of Private Peterson. More astonishing are the thousands of unexploded shells that French and Belgian farmers still unearth every year which have to be detonated by experts. The annual number does not seem to diminish with time.
Posted by: Steve on 2008-11-11
It is important to remember the veterans around the world who fought for freedom!
Posted by: ChowDog on 2008-11-11
Great post. Gave me goosebumps. I'm a vet myself, USAF 1974-1978. Classified as a Vietnam Era vet but was never there. Raised as an Army Brat 101st Airborne, my dad served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam and currently have two nephews that have returned from Iraq.