A Pittance of Time November 11 is Remembrance Day in Canada. It is the anniversary of the date in 1918 when the Armistice was signed that ended the First World War. It is a solemn occasion. It is customary for Canadians to pause for two minutes at 11 a.m. to remember those who died in the two world wars, in Korea, and in later conflicts. This video is based on a true incident observed by singer/songwriter Terry Kelly on November 11, 1999. He was in a Nova Scotia drug store that morning. At 11 a.m. everyone in the store paused for two minutes of silence--except for one oblivious man who had a young daughter with him. Kelly channelled his anger into this touching song, A Pittance of Time.
Tags: Terry  Kelly  A  Pittance  of  Time  Remembrance  Day
Added: 11th November 2008
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-11
Gets me every time...
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2008-11-11
May you and your country have a thoughtful and reflective Remembrance Day.
Posted by: donmac101 on 2008-11-11
We too have the same tradition Lava and the two minutes silence was observed and a prayer said for all those who have placed their lives on the line in military service.
Posted by: ChowDog on 2008-11-11
Well spoken Jed and a heartfelt salute to Canada, our neighbor and our ally.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-12
And I return the salute to both our American friends and our friends in Great Britain.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-11-11
Remember our vets, living and dead, who gave us what we have today.

God bless them all..
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-11-11
Thanks to all the veterans.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2012-11-12
I experienced a moment yesterday similar to what the singer had:

I arrived at my local Remembrance Day service just as the opening announcements began at 10:20 a.m. I waited across the street from the cenotaph with half a dozen other folks as O Canada was played.

As we were respectfully standing for the anthem, one of our youthful citizens came swaggering by, zigzagging through those of us trying to pay proper respect to the national anthem. He was one of those gangsta wannabes. You know the type: He was wearing his baseball cap sideways. His jeans were so oversized it looked like his crotch was at his knees. His sneakers were larger than his head. His body language exuded a surplus of attitude combined with a disdain for everyone and everything but himself. All of us standing for the anthem looked at each other and silently shook our heads in collective disgust. If looks could kill, the gangsta-dude would be have dead on the street. I'm certain he didn't notice everyone's scornful glances. Even if he had, he probably didn't care.

This character's obliviousness (or was it contempt?) regarding what was happening around him was mind-boggling. I guess he must have had something better to do than wait a few moments for the anthem to finish, or even perhaps stay for the Remembrance Day service. I can't imagine what that might be, though. I doubt that he was going to do anything more productive that Sunday morning than smoke weed or download rap music.

During the service I couldn't help but think of the recent documentaries I'd watched on television about the Canadian troops' bloody struggles on D-Day and at Ortona--engagements that preserved my country's freedom. Perversely, those battles also preserved the gangsta-dude's right to be a disrespectful lowlife. How sad..
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2013-11-11
Thanks and God bless our veterans.