Hockey Night In Canada Theme What's the biggest news story in Canada today? CBC has decided to scrap the classic theme for Hockey Night In Canada which it has used on its broadcasts since 1968. Canadians from coast to coast are outraged. (I'm livid myself.) Not only is it a great tune, it's truly part of Canadian culture. Here the Kanata Symphony Orchestra plays it in a church--quite appropriate because hockey is often described as a religion in Canada.
Tags: Hockey  Night  In  Canada  theme
Added: 5th June 2008
Posted by: Cathy on 2008-06-05
First I ever heard of this, but I do notice the ad for Hockey Night Ringtones so it has to be a big thing.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-06-05
No exaggeration, Cathy--this song is as well known in Canada as our national anthem.

Canadians are generally a passive bunch, but when the traditions we hold dearest (anything to do with hockey) are under attack, we get p----- off.

The CBC had been flooded with angry complaints today. I sent three myself.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2008-06-06
Hey Lava! I watched the Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup on CBC. Way better than NBC or Versus! The only station to watch Hockey! Question, why change it if it isn't broken.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-06-07
I knew you'd eventually comment on this, Marty.

First, congratualtions to the Red Wings. They deserved to win.

Second, the creator of the song wants the CBC to pay her $500 every time the network uses it on a hockey broadcast. (She owns the copyright to it.) CBC refuses to pay. I'm sure if every Canadian hockey fan (and those Americans along the border who tune in to Hockey Night in Canada) paid $1 apiece, we'd offset the expense for next season easily.
Posted by: Steve on 2008-06-07
Kind of like the Happy Birthday copyright?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-06-07
Indeed, Steve, somebody on the CBC's website did make the comparison to the copyright siutation for Happy Birthday To You.

You have to be a Canadian to understand how angry people are about this. This is an unbelievably huge story in Canada. Now the federal government is being pressured to intervene to save it.

We're a little wacko up here. Remember, I'm an average Canadian--and I'm nutso.
Posted by: Steve on 2008-06-07
Well on YRT as long as Federal Laws permit you can always have Canadian Nights here! We have the highest respect for you here !
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-06-09
Update: Today Canada's CTV network bought the rights to the theme song in perpetuity. CTV owns The Sports Network which will use it in their hockey broadcasts.
Posted by: Cathy on 2008-06-09
I saw this in Yahoo News, I would never have given it a second thought until your brought it to our attention!