Ayds Diet Candies Ayds was a brand name of boxed candies that were used as appetite suppressants for dieters starting in 1937. They were available in several flavors. Eating an Ayds candy was supposed to eliminate one's craving for a calorie-rich dessert. Ayds hit their peak of popularity in the late 1970s and had strong sales until the early 1980s. Then, unfortunately, the candies suffered the misfortune of having a name that sounded exactly like the disease AIDS. (This coincidence made some of the advertising pitches from the 1970s sound really bad: "Why go on a diet when you can have Ayds?") By the mid-1980s, sales of Ayds had dropped by 50% from their heyday just a few years earlier. The product's name was changed to Diet Ayds in 1987, but trying to persuade the public that Ayds had no connection to AIDS proved to be an uphill battle. By the end of the 1980s, the candies were discontinued.
Tags: Ayds  diet  candies  name
Added: 30th September 2011
Posted by: Classico on 2011-10-02
In my earlier years I would need to lose weight in order to prep for the sports season in early spring. I always found this dietary aid to work well to suppress my enormous appetite and it helped me lose weight. Then, when the AIDS crisis started, I remember Duane Reade's pharmacy pulling them from the aisle. What a shame.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-10-02
This proves how important perception is to the public compared to reality. What's in a name? Plenty!
Posted by: Steve on 2011-10-02
I remember this too. Did they ever attempt to rename themselves?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-10-02
In Great Britain the candies were renamed Aydslim. It did no good. Sales went down the tubes because of the phonetic connection to AIDS.
Posted by: AngoraSox on 2011-10-03
I tried these once and discovered that I wanted to eat the whole box in one sitting! That's just downright cruel. The marquis de sade of appetite suppressants! LOL
Posted by: AngoraSox on 2011-10-08
At first I thought the title said Ayds Diet Candles.
Posted by: Jhonmaik on 2021-01-19
Reach out your targeted audience and maximize your impact through our research publication advertising strategies. Publication Advertising helps many researchers to connect with scientist through a different media campaigning.
Posted by: Jhonmaik on 2021-01-19
Paper Lords is one of the leading
Academic Writing Services
provider agency in the United Kingdom. We have been offering our services in the market for over 5 triumphant years. Paper Lords is offering Assignment writing across the United Kingdom.