Cat Davis Ring Magazine Cover 1978 The cover of the August 1978 issue of The Ring magazine featured boxer Cathy (Cat) Davis. Readers' responses to women's boxing in 1978 were overwhelmingly negative. To date she is the only female boxer to appear on The Ring's cover in its 88-year history.
Tags: boxing  Cat  Davis
Added: 7th February 2010
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-02-07
Call me old-fashioned and sexist, but I won't watch women's boxing. It bothers me.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2010-02-07
I would'n't mess with her.
Posted by: Classico on 2010-03-05
Women's boxing never got off the ground very much except for when Laila Ali (Muhammed Ali's daughter) won the championship. Some viewed it as too masculine even though other forms of female martial arts have thrived. For example Jackie Tonawanda was unpopular as she was viewed as unfeminine. I used to see her occasionally and know for a fact that she was a pleasant person who was well mannered.

As a former coach of women's sports, it used to bother me that boxing girls never got the respect they deserved. But such is life.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-11-11
Women's boxing will be in the 2012 Olympics...and I still won't watch it.

Posted by: Naomi on 2011-11-11
Lava, you never struck me as being a sexist or a homophobe. But I won't bug you, when it comes to your personal feelings.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-11-11
I'm all in favor of females participating in sports because of the health benefits and life skills they teach. I just draw a personal line at females participating in one of my favorite sports--boxing. It strikes me as unfeminine, much the same as men participating in synchronized swimming would strike me as unmasculine.

We all have our likes and dislikes.