Sarah Bernhardt - Queen Elizabeth I called someone Sarah Bernhardt over the weekend and no one knew what I was talking about. Calling someone a Sarah Bernhardt means they are overly dramatic as seen in this clip. Although she died in 1923 her fame for being a drama queen was well known into the 1970s.
Tags: Sarah    Bernhardt    1912    silent    film    cinema    Lumiere    Melies    Duse    Queen    Elizabeth    Earl    Essex    Robert    Devereux
Added: 30th November 2009
Views: 2063
Posted By: Old Fart
Posted by: Naomi on 2009-11-30
I know exactly what you mean. I think everyone, or rather, every family has a Sarah Bernhardt, or in my family's case, even a Sam Bernhardt. And yes....nobody who was born after the 50's seems to know what it means!!
Posted by: Classico on 2009-11-30
I recall reading her bio in the early 70s. Perhaps the book was a best seller back then since there was a nostalgia craze for the old days entertainment.

Sarah Bernhardt was unconventional in a society that was still heavily influenced by Victorian prudery. She remained that way for the rest of her life. Because of that, her daughter (Lady Malcolm??) disowned her and remained a proper English lady of high social standing. Thus, Bernhardt paid a heavy price for her nonconforming lifestyle.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-11-30
Hey, I was born in 1964 and I know what 'being a Sarah Bernhardt' means!
Posted by: Steve on 2009-12-01
There really is no one today that you can substitute the name for. She sure was one of a kind! Our parents use to call us that too!
Posted by: Pfc on 2009-12-02
Hahah! Haven't heard that term in a long while!
Posted by: Mydugevawo on 2019-04-05
The old things and the old products are always remembering and liked by the people most in all type of the communities. You remember that is the way to taking back to you toward the old times and https://www.ukbestessay.net/assignment-writing the queen Elizabeth is the topic of the old time discussion regarding the news and the heritage.