The Israelites-Desmond Dekker Desmond Dekker (July 16, 1941 May 25, 2006) was a Jamaican ska and reggae singer and songwriter. Together with his backing group, The Aces (consisting of Wilson James and Easton Barrington Howard), he had one of the first international Jamaican hits with "Israelites". Other hits include "007 (Shanty Town)" (1967) and "It Miek" (1969). Before the ascent of Bob Marley, Dekker was one of the most popular musicians within Jamaica, and one of the best-known musicians outside it. n 1968 Dekker's "Israelites" was released, appearing on both the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and UK Singles Charts, and eventually topping the latter and (in June, 1969) peaking in the Top Ten of the former. He was the first Jamaican performer to enter U.S. market with pure Jamaican music, though he never repeated the feat.
Tags: Desmond  Dekker  Live  the  Israelites
Added: 16th May 2009
Posted By: Old Fart
Posted by: Naomi on 2009-05-16
I LOVE this song, it's so catchy, when you listen to it you want to sing it all night!~ And I wish I could find a jacket like his, but without the patches.
Posted by: Lmjw on 2009-05-17
definetley a great one
i'm looking for Smokey Joes Cafe
no luck so far

Posted by: Steve on 2009-05-17
This song stays with you all day! Been humming it sine it was posted!

LMJW I couldn't find any song released by him under Smokey Joe's Cafe. All I could find was that it was a Broadway play.
Posted by: donmac101 on 2009-05-17
So many parodies done of this song and even when I first heard it had problems with the lyrics. Oh Oh my ears are alight. In this video though, he seems to pronounce a bit better.
Posted by: TheSaint on 2009-05-18
Yes... 1969 was a good music year.
Posted by: ba11game on 2009-05-22
I saw Smokey Joe's Cafe on Broadway. It is a musical revue of the songs of Leiber and Stoller. I also have the original cast CD and I would highly recommend it. Smokey Joe's Cafe is also the name of one of their songs, but it is not in the show. The only recording of it that I know of is by the Coasters.