1978 AFC Championship Game Here's a treat for you NFL fans: the first 10 minutes of NBC's broadcast of the 1978 AFC Championship game between the visiting Houston Oilers and host Pittsburgh Steelers. The game was played on January 7, 1979 in miserable conditions at Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium. Cold rain, huge puddles, and partially frozen artificial turf made this contest difficult for both teams. The Steelers won the game 34-5 and then beat Dallas 35-31 in Super Bowl XIII two weeks later.
Tags: 1978  AFC  Championship  game  NFL
Added: 15th November 2008
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-15
Steelers versus Oillers in the late 1970s was about as good as it got in the NFL.

I remember I was suffering from a cold or the flu or some malady while watching this particular game. I was on a couch in my rec room, wrapped up in about three blankets and propped up on four or five pillows. I remember thinking I was glad I wasn't in the stadium even though I would have probably done anything for a ticket.

Strange what one remembers about certain events, isn't it?
Posted by: Pfc on 2008-11-15
Houston? I just don't remember the Oilers as a power house team. Of course during this time you had San Francisco, Dallas, Washington and Miami that I considered power houses.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-15
The Oilers and Steelers were huge rivals in the AFC Central division. In both 1978 and 1979 the teams met in the AFC Championship Game. The 1979 title game is famous for a controversial call that went against the Oilers to nullify a game-tying Mike Renfro touchdown. The key to stopping the Oilers was to stop Earl Campbell. Few teams could.

San Francisco was a couple of years away from being good. (Joe Montana was still quarterbacking Notre Dame in 1978.) Dallas was the best team in the NFC, but the AFC clearly had best teams in the league.
Posted by: Classico on 2008-11-21
Was this the game where LB Jack Ham made a late hit on TE Barber and caused him an injury?

Barber was helped off the field by the trainer and as he left, he shouted at Ham I'M GOING TO GET YOU! I'M GOING TO GET YOU!

Ham swore it was not a late hit, visited Barber in the hospital, and all was well thereafter.
Posted by: Rich441b on 2010-07-04
Where can I find more of this game????
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2014-12-06
Nice to hear the comforting voice of Curt Gowdy.