Three First World War Vets I found this remarkable photo on a British news website. It was taken today (November 11, 2008) at the British Armistice Day service in London. It shows three of the four surviving British First World War veterans. From left to right: 112-year-old Henry Allingham, 110-year-old Harry Patch, and 108-year-old Bill Stone. Allingham was an aviator, Patch was in the army, Stone was in the navy. (The fourth surviving veteran, 107-year-old Claude Choules, lives in Australia.)
Tags: British  First  World  War  Veterans
Added: 11th November 2008
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-11
There are no more than 10 accepted First World War veterans still alive anywhere in the world. This total includes some veterans who were still in training when the war ended and never saw action.

There are no veterans from the Central Powers still alive. The last one died in 2007.

One American veteran, Frank Buckles, is still alive.
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2008-11-11
I hope those veterans in the photo see another ten or more Armistice Day celebrations. I read an article about Frank Buckles a couple of days ago and if I remember correctly he was in the Ambulance Corp. I would love to sit and listen to any of these guys talk about their experiences.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-11-11
Absolutely, Jed. These vets are living history.

I'm impressed by how youthful both Mr. Patch and Mr. Stone look!
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2008-11-11
Concur, they really look perhaps 70, there about, but nowhere their real age. I wonder how active they are? After all the pictures that one has seen about WWI they could explain in detail, on a daily basis, life in the trenches. I, for one, would have been shaking in my boots coming out of a trench, running across no man's land into to the teeth of a machine gun, either the Maxin or Vickers. No Thanks!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-07-24
Sad to report that two of these three gentlemen have passed away in 2009. Mr. Stone died in January at age 108. Mr. Allingham died in July at age 113. Mr. Allingham was the world's oldest person when he died.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-07-25
Sad to report again that Harry Patch, the middle vet in this photo, died today at age 111.