Peter Lorre on Whats My Line Another one of Hollywood's classic character actors, Peter Lorre, appears as a mystery challenger on What's My Line on February 14, 1960.
Tags: Whats  My  Line  Peter  Lorre
Added: 7th October 2008
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-10-07
I'm baffled by the references to the film Scent of Mystery. I can't seem to find anything about it. It's not even listed in Peter Lorre's film credits in his Wikipedia biography. Does anyone know anything about this film?
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2008-10-07
Try the following link.

Posted by: Teresa on 2008-10-07
i have been doing my Peter Lorre voice to the annoyance of my friends for years!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-10-07
Thanks for the link, Jed. This must be a very obscure movie. It isn't even listed in Leonard Maltin's video guide.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-10-07
Peter Lorre first gained fame as a movie star in a 1931 German film titled M, in which he portrayed a serial killer who preyed on little girls. Ick!
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2008-10-07
Lava just a guess as to why the movie is so obscure - it was smell-o-vision. That is where certain scents were released in the theater a particular times and, in this case, designed to help you solve the film's mystery/riddle. See that attached link for Variety's extract of a review from 1960.

Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-10-08
One would think the whole smell-o-vision angle would make Scent Of S Mystery famous instead of obscure. Obviously that was one bit of movie technology that the public did not embrace.
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2008-10-08
I think availability was more the problem. In the little town that I grew up in I don't think most theaters were equipped to handle the cost of equipment requirements for this new venture. Besides, in 1960, I was eleven, my friends and I were working out the 3D thing of the 13 Ghosts where you received the paper 3D glasses. It didn't live up to its billed advertising either.