Lynch Mob Violence A victim of a lynch mob dangles from a bridge, circa 1910. Between 1889 and 1941, there were at least 3,811 known cases of lynching in the United States. There was never any federal anti-lynching legislation passed because southern politicians saw lynching as a necessity to maintain order in their communities. Many of these acts of vigilantism were photographed and sold as souvenir postcards!
Tags: lynching
Added: 8th September 2008
Views: 1916
Posted by: Cliffy on 2008-09-08
Haha, sold as postcards, I can see the note on the reverse:

Having a great time wishing you were here!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-09-08
Very funny, Cliffy.

Or how about, 'Attended local social gathering. A good time was had by everyone. Well, almost everyone.'
Posted by: Kbug on 2008-09-08
Yikes, that's not very family friendly!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-09-08
It's history, though. I think we've had this debate before...
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-09-08
Exactly, it's history, good or bad, it's ours. I know alot of adults who would shy away from this picture.
Posted by: Kbug on 2008-09-08
Yes we have. Doesn't mean I have to like it does it? (I'm not saying that sarcastically even though it may seem that way.)
Posted by: Kbug on 2008-09-08
I just thought this was a family site is all. The front page does say :

This site is rated G (maybe PG on some posts) you can always feel comfortable sharing this site to your mother, kids or grandkids!

I wouldn't want to share this picture with kids.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-09-08
My family has many history buffs in it. We enjoy learning about all aspects of history--good, bad, or otherwise.

I'm sure there are many devoted Chicago Cubs fans who don't want to relive the 2003 NLCS. My posts today rekindle bad memories for them, you know. They could presumably make sensitive Cubs fans uneasy. Should my two Steve Bartman posts be taken down too?
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-09-08
It is your right to not like it, I think we all agree on that.
Posted by: Ronnie on 2008-09-08
Hmmmm.....

I did the numbers. That averages 6 lynchings per month during those years for the entire United States. Do you really think that normal good people just decided to form a mob and then went out to lynch innocent people? How much had to happen before terrible things like that took place? I would guess that some mistakes were made but it does seem to me that folks had to put up with much less crime back then...They would never have spent the money to send a guy like Ted Bundy or even O J Simpson to trial. I look at lynching as possibly a much more efficient method of solving a crime problem...

Some of the above is said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.....it is up to you to figure out which is which....

Ronnie
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-09-08
Another source I found, the Tuskegee Institue, claims there were 4,730 people (3,437 black and 1,293 white) lynched between 1880 and 1951. That's enough people to make a good-sized town!
Posted by: Shortyblackwell on 2008-09-20
either way, it's a prt of history which should be known, good or bad.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-09-22
Thank you, Shorty, for getting what history is all about. I would expect nothing less from a fellow Chaplin fan...