Charlie Chaplin Receives Honorary Oscar 1972 At the 1972 Academy Awards, 83-year-old Charlie Chaplin received a long overdue honorary Oscar for his immense contributions to cinema. The presenter was Daniel Taradash, the president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. It was the first time Chaplin had set foot in the United States since 1952. (Chaplin had never obtained American citizenship and, after a vacation abroad, he was refused admission into the U.S. during the Red Scare era because his political views were thought to be pro-communist. Idiocy!)
Tags: Charlie  Chaplin  Oscar
Added: 29th May 2008
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-29
Charlie Chaplin is, without a doubt, the most important figure in the history of motion pictures.
Posted by: Cliffy on 2008-05-29
YRT has proven that! With so many clips of him, just him being his great self, or acting like Hitler or a few speaking parts. I think it was mainly you Lava to point these things out to us and for that I thank you!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-29
Thaks for the kind words, Cliffy. I'm happy to do anything I can to keep the legacy of the great Chaplin alive.

I first saw his films at age 10 and was mesmerized. For my 12th birthday I got a fantastic book about Chaplin's career. It is well worn and I still use it as a reference guide to all things Chaplin.
Posted by: donmac101 on 2008-05-29
I've always liked the word, BENCHMARK, and Chaplin certainly was one.
Posted by: Mr.Nostalgia on 2008-06-30

A nice little bit of film and tv history.

There was an extra scene at this Oscars

Cerimony?

the audience and the hosts..Jack Lemon

Walter Matthau sang Chaplin's Smile

to him..but that segment is not shown.
Posted by: Littlegoldwoman on 2009-03-30
This is also listed as the #1 moment in the history of Oscar. I have a good part of the clip on a documentary about Oscar and it is so very moving. I cry every time I see it.

Posted by: Electricland on 2009-03-31
Wow, the last time I saw this was in 1972. Thanks for having this up. I got that moment etched on my mind. I was sitting on a tan colored carpet looking at the program from afar.

Did you see Jackie Coogan?

Great.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-06-10
Had the Academy Awards existed before 1927 Chaplin would have certainly won many more Oscars. I suspect The Kid (1921) and The Gold Rush (1925) both would have won for Best Picture in their respective years.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-07-17
This clip is actually abridged. The standing ovation Chaplin received that night lasted 10 minutes!