Burger Chef I remember this place. Order cheese burger hook it up. Whatever happened to those days.
Tags: Vittles
Added: 13th May 2008
Posted By: Marty6697
Posted by: roseanns1 on 2008-05-13
never heard of a burger chef in my area.
sounds pretty cool.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-13
There was one in my hometown was I was quite small. It probably went out of business about 35 years ago.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-13
I did some research on Burger Chef restaurants: They existed from 1954 through 1996. Their heyday was the early 1970s when there were about 2400 of them. the chain was bought out by the same company that owned Hardee's. Many Burger Chefs were converted to Hardees.

Burger Chef was the first hamburger chain to offer discount combos. You could get a burger, fries, and a soft drink for 45 cents. (If you wanted a milkshake it cost you five cents more!) Those were the days indeed!
Posted by: eric1957 on 2008-05-22
Burger Chef were once owned by General Foods.
Posted by: BadWX on 2008-06-13
I loved Burger Chef. I would go there over McDonald's any day.

What's really cool is I remember this ad vividly because I remember spotting Ed Winter. Ed was famous for his role of the paranoid Col. Flagg on M*A*S*H.
Posted by: Pfc on 2008-06-13
lol BdWx please tell me Ed was nothing like Col Flagg; please tell me that isn't possible!
Posted by: BadWX on 2008-06-14
LOL PFC. I would hope he wasn't. IIRC, Mike Farrel said in an interview once that Ed Winter was a joy to work with. He said that Winter could be a real joker on the set. I *think* he said that about Winter, but I could be wrong.

Otherwise I don't know much him. Other than the fact that he passed away in 2001 at the age of 63.
Posted by: raymel1 on 2008-07-14
Hardees bought out Burger Chef and turned a growing restaurant of over 1200 into a few hundred. Hardee's my very well lose the Burger Chef name tho, and it is being challenged now. So the possibility of Burger Chef Resurrected is quite possible. Google it.