Walt Disneys Song of the South  1946 Disney's first live-action movie mixed in animated scenes to tell the stories of kindly ol Uncle Remus, including the tales of Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and the Tar Baby. The movie, which had faced accusations that it promoted racial stereotypes and the idea of the slave-slavemaster relationship in a positive light, won a 1947 Best Song Oscar for the song on this clip, Zip a Dee Doo Dah, and was a major cultural force in its day. But it's been on the shelves for half a century and has never been released on home video in the U.S. because of Disney's concerns that depictions in the film viewed in today's world, might not be viewed as kindly or as politically correct. However the studio is currently mulling over the idea of DVD release as soon as 2008. In my opinion, this is a film that made millions of children happy. It was adults who put an end to that. I hope you'll enjoy this with the same sentiments as in which it was posted.
Tags: walt  disney  song  of  the  south  musical  animation
Added: 13th August 2007
Posted By: Naomi
Posted by: Freckles on 2007-08-13
It was well done! We still have this in VHS so some how it was released by Disney with the last decade.

Love it or hate it, it still was part of American history.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-08-13
I was never able to locate a copy, but finally found one available from the UK.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2007-08-13
I finnaly got the movie online only one i think never released or recently Great Movie Can you take clips from the movie I would really like to know Please it would help so much Thank You so much
Posted by: Steve on 2007-08-14
LOL look to the right of this, there are links to purchase the video!
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-08-14
How do they do that?
Posted by: Steve on 2007-08-14
Ah, the magic of Google ads! That's why I switched to them, they target things that members here would be interested in!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-08-15
I say down with political correctness! These fanatics have already spoiled so much classic entertainment in the name of tolerance and compassion. i want to buy a copy!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-16
I found one website called Banned Movies where they will give you a DVD of this movie free of charge if you buy a poster. For legal reasons they are not allowed to mention Song of the South by name. It is instead referred to as a movie Jesse Jackson doesn't want you to see.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-11-16
Lava, again we agree! I also believe that Jesse Jackson doesn't want anyone to view this film.
Posted by: tbird57guard-Shop on 2007-12-28
Song of the South is one fantastic movie! It is well presented and I find nothing politically incorrect in it. It is a story of a young boy going through a difficult time in his life and all the people who helped him through it. It has NO political or racist aspirations. The music is really great, and after 50+years, Zip a Dee Doo Da is one of my favorite songs.
Posted by: Electricland on 2009-03-29
I remember seeing this in a school gymnasium with a huge crowd of kids.
Posted by: Wyattdockerley on 2012-07-21
I found a dvd of it (in an old trunk in an old attic - but it IS a dvd so it can't be old. Aside from the movie JJ doesn't want you to see there is a cartoon (by Loonie Tunes) of a black version of Snow White, called Coal Black and de Seben Dwahfs, which was produced during WWII - one sequence showing a Murder, Inc. truck with the advertisement: We rub out anyone, $l then Dwarfs, half-price, then Japs - free. Easy to see why that one was pulled and never released again.