Featured Member- Lava1964 I was born in a small Canadian city in 1964. I am unmarried. Miss Right has not yet come along. I'm beginning to think she never will. As a kid, I loved acquiring knowledge on a variety of topics, hence my love of trivia. My father got me interested in history by making me watch documentaries when I was eight years old. I am truly grateful he did this. I developed my own passion for sports history. My favorite sports are baseball, boxing, tennis, hockey, football, and soccer. Baseball is far and away my favorite. I live and die with the exploits of the Boston Red Sox. (I was a Red Sox fan long before it became fashionable.) I played fastpitch softball as a kid when that was a popular pastime in Canada. I was a second baseman: Good glove, weak arm, decent contact hitter, not much power. I normally batted second. I have been a softball umpire since 1978. Last time I counted, I had worked over 2,300 games. I've always loved words and the English language. Its possibilities are truly limitless. I modestly say I am a writer of some repute. I began writing pieces for sports encyclopedias at age 19 and really haven't stopped penning sports articles since then. I used to write a weekly sports nostalgia column for a local newspaper. I allegedly had half a million readers at one time. (My column ran for five years before a dim-witted editor took over the sports department and dismissed all the freelance columnists and replaced them with hand-picked toadies. Accordingly, I have put a curse on him and his family. I've had three books on baseball history published. All have received kind reviews. I still write the occasional piece for nostalgia publications. If anyone is really interested in my stuff, I sell collections of my columns on demand. My books are available through mail order from my publisher in North Carolina. I am a tournament Scrabble player and official. I have an expert rating (which I am quite proud of) and I'm usually ranked in the top 40 in Canada. I help run a local club and local tourneys, and, for some reason, I am much in demand to officiate and organize tournaments in many places. Scrabble has allowed me to travel to Las Vegas, Reno, Phoenix, New Orleans, and this summer...Orlando. It's nice work if you can get it. It must be my aptitude for organization which I acquired from both my parents. Scrabble is quite a diverse and odd subculture. Nevertheless, my best friends are Scrabble players. The game helps me retain what is left of my sanity. Along those same lines, I enjoy all competitive endeavors. I always play to win. This is why I love game shows too, I suppose. Occasionally I do real jobs too. I've been a private tutor since 1994. My students think I'm brilliant. I always try to live up to their expectations. I think I have a good sense of humor. It's a hybrid of American and British mirth. I especially love puns. I am cuddly.
Tags: Featured  Member-  Lava1964
Added: 1st May 2008
Posted By: Steve
Posted by: Steve on 2008-05-01
John aka Lava is also a charter member or YRT and our first international member! Ok so Canada doesn't require a passport lol but I hear they have great prescription drug prices!

I just marvel how the internet has so changed things including really getting to know people from around the world as real friends, and I consider John a true friend!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-01
And, as you can tell, I tend to ramble on and on...
Posted by: Steve on 2008-05-01
We are always our worst enemies when it comes to stuff like this. I already analyzed the radio show 3 or 4 times today and that was 6 hours ago! We love you being you!
Posted by: Teresa on 2008-05-01
wow, Lava! KILLER bio . . it's really cool to find out about each other . . u have quite a resume and it's a really fun read . .i would LOVE to possess just ONE of skills! thanks sooooo for sharing!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-01
Thanks for the compliment, Teresa. (I actually consider myself to be a bit of an underachiever. It depresses me sometimes.)
Posted by: donmac101 on 2008-05-01
If it wasn't for this bio I would never have thought you liked your sport. lol. To sit at this side of the pond and find out all about other members of YRT is such a privilege. What other site on the net other than those manic social sites would allow you to do this? Just to say Lava, you've had a very well spent existence on this globe. Thanks for letting us get a bit closer.
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-05-01
I knew about the Scrabble, which we have in common because I LOVE words as well, but I had no idea you were a published author...very impressive! Don't worry so much about not having found Miss Right yet, you've got plenty of time!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2008-05-01
Lava, That was one impressive Bio. I knew you loved sports from the get go. You got a lot going for you and only 43. Scrabble tournament organizer and being an Expert at that you should be proud. I love your posts and comments. YRT brought all of us together like an extended family. Such a treat to know there are such great people here. Not like any other site that I know of. Good luck to ya finding a significant other. She's out there, Im glad to know you, keep up the good work!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-05-01
Thanks for the kind remarks, everyone. I am touched. I love this website! We are indeed an extended family. And like a family, it's always full of wonderful surprises.
Posted by: roseanns1 on 2008-05-16
Hello Lava, Thanks for all the wonderful posts. Your comments are always appreciated. Keep them coming. Glad to know you. Your friend, Roseann
Posted by: Electricland on 2009-03-06
He deseves a thumbs up ... He knows quite a bit on this site.

Here I go again, gettin' chatty on this site.
Posted by: ChowDog on 2009-03-31
It's great getting to know more about you Lava! I would have to concur with your students as you are most certainly a wealth of knowledge!! And I always enjoy your WML post. Great Bio and I look forward to many more post from you!
Posted by: Nbmike on 2009-03-31
Glad to finally see your bio Lava. Your WML collection and various posts have been entertaining, and I look forward to future posts.
Posted by: beev50 on 2009-12-29
An incredible wealth of knowledge an umpiring at such a young age my hats off to you.
P.S. was this little league softball?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-01-05
Thanks for the kind words, Beev50.

I've umpired softball at all age levels from young kids to high-level adult games. I umpired baseball for a few years too in one of the top amateur leagues in North America. Some scouts think the best teams play at a double-A pro level.