Mark Twain at Home Silent film footage taken in 1909 by Thomas Edison at Stormfield (Redding)(CT) at Mark Twain's estate. Twain is shown walking around his home and playing cards with his daughters Clara and Jean. The flickering is due to film deterioration, but this is the only known footage of the great author.
Tags: Mark    Twain    Thomas    Edison    Stormfield    Rare    footage
Added: 19th April 2008
Posted By: Cliffy
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-04-19
Nice Cliffy! When I see historical figures on old film it makes it not seem so much like a made up story someone wrote...lol
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-04-19
Wouldn't this clip have made our History and English classes much more interesting back in High School, instead of just reading about him in textbooks? Great find Cliffy!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-04-20
I actually do remember seeing parts of this in a documentary film that was shown to my class when I was in the eighth grade.

One thing about Mark Twain that I always recall is that he was born in 1835, a year in which Halley's Comet was visible on Earth. He said he wanted to live long enough to see it again. He did. Twain died in 1910--the next year Halley's Comet was visible on Earth. (My paternal grandfather also had the same lifespan. He was born in 1910 and died in 1986--the next year Halley's Comet appeared.)
Posted by: roseanns1 on 2008-04-20
my sister had her wedding recption at the mark twain hotel in the 60's in Elmira, N.Y.
Posted by: roseanns1 on 2008-04-20
He got married in Elmira, N.Y. and also was buried there.
Posted by: Cliffy on 2008-04-20
He should have stayed away from Elmira, N.Y right Roseanns LOL!