1960 Olympic Hockey USA USSR Here's some rare sports footage from the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, California. It's the deciding goal of the USA's 3-2 victory over the Soviet Union. The game was played in an outdoor rink. Notice the players didn't wear helmets and the goalies didn't wear masks.
Tags: 1960  Olympic  Hockey
Added: 9th March 2008
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-03-09
No helmits or masks?? They must not have played like they do today?
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-03-10
I told lava about my French Canadian friends showing me hockey strategies.Helmets ,masks,HUH? We were menboys!I have 3 missing front teeth,my dentist set me up.From 3 different GAMES!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-03-10
Helmets were not mandatory in amateur hockey in Canada until the early 1970s. They didn't become mandatory in the NHL until 1979 when rookies were required to wear them. (Those who had played in the league prior to 1979 were exempted.)
Posted by: Cathy on 2008-03-10
Its weird to see an old Nascar clip and the pit crew not wearing helmets or uniforms.
Posted by: eric1957 on 2008-03-10
Now that's old time hockey.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-10-29
The two Christian brothers on the 1960 U.S. Olympic hockey team were the unvle and father of Dave Christian who played on the 1980 team.

Herb Brooks, the coach of the 1980 team, was the last player cut from the 1960 team.

The U.S. beat Canada 2-1 in a game where they were totally outplayed. The Americans had a hot goalie, Jack McCartan.

The Canadian team was an amateur team in a neighboring city from where I live. (Canada didn't start using real national teams in international hockey until 1964--that's how smug we used to be.) I used to work with the Canadian goalie from 1960. He didn't like to reminisce about the Squaw Valley Winter Olympics. Canada's silver medal in hockey was considered a big letdown.
Posted by: TheSaint on 2009-10-29
Lava - you knew I'd pick up on this clip considering the US outcome!!!!

This was like the first time the US lost in baseball or in basketball. Like waking up with no sun in the solar system. Universal order got disrupted.

A hot goalie often determines the outcome. Being a Boston Bruin fan I still have nightmares of Ken Dryden upsetting that powerhose team from I think 1970. Goalies are like ptchers in baseball.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-10-29
The playoff series you refer to was in 1971. As a lifelong Bruins fan myself, it still bugs me too.