Last Passenger Pigeon 1914 The decline and extinction of the passenger pigeon is one of the saddest chapters in natural history. When Europeans first arrived in North America passenger pigeons thrived in the billions. In 1800 they were so plentiful that a pair could be bought for just two cents. They lived in enormous flocks that sometimes overspread 300 square miles. However, by the mid-1800s, loss of habitat and the demand for a cheap source of meat doomed the passenger pigeon to extinction. The last accepted wild passenger pigeon was spotted in 1900. The last passenger pigeon in captivity, a female named Martha, died in the Cincinnati Zoo on September 1, 1914.
Tags: passenger  pigeon  extinction
Added: 6th February 2008
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-02-06
and this was just the beginning...loss of habitat has been the leading cause of decline in many animal species since that time. How many more will become extinct before we learn?
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-02-07
I've read where a lack of birds are a leading indicator of the environment and ecosystem being in trouble.Birds are the only dinosaurs left.I live in one of the most abundant wildlife areas of the US and have a bird feeder and thought the reason it isn't swarming with birds is because I live next door to a Pennsylvania state gamelands and state forest.And they don't need my help. In suburban NJ I would have them all day 20 yrs ago.WRONGFor example they're are no wippoorwills left in the entire state of PA.I heard them my entire childhood in NY/NJ It gets worse if the bird flu takes hold it will be the 21st Century BLACK DEATH Ring Around The Rosie,pocket full of posies,Ashes Ashes we all fall down.Thats what the songs about And most don't know THE PLAUGE! That almost wiped out civilazation in the middle ages.Thank God for the cat to kill the rat that carried the fleas that carried the virus.It happened very fast with sailing ships as international travel now we have jets!
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-02-07
Posted by: Old Fart on 2008-02-07
I've been reading that cell phones have been causing a decline in bees, wonder if it were proven 100% if everyone would give up their cell phone, like they gave up their SUVs....oh, wait.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-02-07
The only good thing to come out of the passenger pigeon story was an interest in conservation. After seeing the passenger pigeon vanish, people began to think about wildlife preservation.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2008-02-07
I heard on the radio today that cell phone users,Men. Causes low sperm counts and more deformed sperm Lol . For real heard it today. Funny, I hate Cell phones! Especially while driving! More people have cut me off, pulled in front of me. And yup there yacking on a freakin cell Phone. Not only that,I don't want be connected 24 7 . Just my Opinion. Like you know what,everybody has one Lol!
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-02-07
People wear ear pieces here because it's illegal to drive talking on a cell phone in NY,NJ and soon in PA.THANK GOD!!AND I've had several close calls bicycle,car,and walking especially with 16 yr old drivers!