Rick Monday Rescues Flag It was one of those sports moments that wasn't about sports: On April 25, 1976 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Rick Monday of the Chicago Cubs heroically snatched an American flag that was about to be set alight by two radical protesters. Monday recalls the event in an interview 30 years later.
Tags: Rick  Monday  flag  rescue
Added: 24th December 2007
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-12-24
The original radio broadcast of this incident is fascinating to hear. The crowd lets out a brief but loud cheer when Monday rescues the flag. Then they loudly boo the two protesters as they're being escorted from the field. Then they give Monday a long ovation. You can't script stuff like this.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-12-28
That was great, what a guy!!!
Posted by: Fairywench on 2007-12-28
The U.S. Constitution guarantees all Americans (not just those who agree with Rick Monday) freedom of expression. While these protesters were wrong to interrupt a private event, and should have been escorted off the field, by saving the flag - by stopping the protesters from exercising their freedom of expression - Rick Monday was being 100% un-American. Boo oh him.

And for those who are going to tell me if I don't like it, leave, I say to you, NO, if you don't like the Constitution, then go live in some country that dictates what you are allowed to believe. You know, like Iraq, for instance.
Posted by: Cliffy on 2007-12-28
If it is your flag, you should have the right to do whatever you want with it, but I couldn't burn it in your living room if you didn't want me to!
Posted by: Guido on 2007-12-28
Except for you stating that Rick was being 100% un-American, I agree with your basic thoughts. The First Amendment, besides protecting our freedom of speech and choice of religion, also protects those who wish to desecrate the American flag. You must remember though that the same rights you have to voice your opinion, are the same rights others have to disagree with you, without being told to love it or leave it.
Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-12-28
Well stated Cliffy, and Guido!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-01-02
Rick Monday un-American? No chance! He has recieved hundreds of congratulatory letters about this incident since 1976. I wonder how many congratulatory letters the two radicals have received.
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-01-02
Our bicentential year, patriotism flourished similar to after 9/11,Where our these guys now when we need them to scoop up the burning people in Iraq.They could put a flag around them to snuff the flames.It's all what you choose to beleive it represents Personally it's a piece of cloth probally made in China?Not a human life,Hitler had a Flag and burning it didn't do a thing.And what our flag has represented lately.Im not all that proud of.Didn't the flag get burned in Viet Nam protests,Well if there was a draft it would be again.And I don't think as many people would be in an uproar over it.We have matured in our thinking in what really matters and what doesn't!And it is our right and that's what makes this country great! Everyone from around the globe lives here,and everyone has a right to their views and opinions.It's a giant think tank,where the right(sometimes) decisions are based on a majority vote.DEMOCRACY.PEACE ON WEB
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-01-03
This may sound strange coming from a Canadian, but I believe the American flag is far more than just a piece of cloth manufactured in China. It is a national symbol that evokes pride in a great many people. Burning it in a public ceremony is highly disrespectful, to say the least. I would never, ever disrespect or desecrate the American flag.
Posted by: Naomi on 2008-01-03
Neither would most of us Lava, but the fact is if someone does, they're rights are protected by law. But I can assure you that if someone came onto my property, took down my flag and burned it, it would be the last flag they ever got their hands on.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2008-01-03
Im with Naomi, Touch my Flag I'll use the pole for something other than hanging my Flag. Many Many people died for that Flag, and for what it stands for. Don't care what the law states. That's the first thing I put up when we moved into our new home this summer. Even before we started moving stuff in. God Bless America
Posted by: tommy7 on 2008-01-03
It stands for abiding by the laws of the land.