Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Here's another wonderful performance by Judy Garland that brings back alot of memories, and some tears as well. It's from the 1944 film, Meet Me in St Louis. It tells the story of four sisters living in St. Louis at the time of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition World's Fair in 1904. Judy met her future husband while making this film, he was the director, Vincent Minnelli. In 2005, Time.com named Meet Me in St Louis as one of the 100 best movies of the last 80 years.
Tags: have  yourself  a  merry  liittle  christmas  judy  garland  meet  me  in  st  louis  musicals
Added: 9th December 2007
Posted By: Naomi
Posted by: Old Fart on 2007-12-09
I just don't associate this song with this movie. Am I the only one?
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-12-10
OK, let me splain...

The movie chronicles the change in seasons and times of St. Louis including the Christmas season.

The story centers on the middle-class Smith family, who lead a comfortable and happy life. The family has four daughters, Rose, Esther, Agnes,Tootie and a son, Lon.

Their father receives a promotion at his job and is being permanently transferred to NYC, which means that the whole family will be packing up and moving to NYC right after Christmas, and away from their home. They are not happy.

In the scene within Naomi's clip, Judy sings this song to her sister, who was played by Margaret O'Brien.

Posted by: donmac101 on 2007-12-10
Old Fart, you ain't the only one. I can remember seeing Judy perform this on a Christmas special, before I even knew it was in a film. Being younger at the time I thought it was written for this time of year. Listening to this again it really shows the undertone of unhappiness.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-12-10
Of course, there was most definitely an undertone of unhappiness. The children knew they were leaving the only home they'd ever known and they were heartbroken.
Posted by: Glueonhair on 2007-12-17
whats the idea of pulling the bloody pic to pieces? it's definitely for those of us of a sensitive nature and was a wonderful film, even if it was gushy and portrayed naivity. us older peeps should know better, is it because of us the younger ones no longer have any sense of wonder?
Posted by: Nanook on 2009-12-25
Many folks consider this the best musical ever to come out of Hollywood. As for me, I'd probably vote for Singin' in the Rain. However, this film has so much to offer from its great cast, stellar direction and camerawork, its music and musical direction to just a great story - with a sense of humor - it's easy to understand why it's so highly regarded. It's just a great, great film.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2012-12-09
I watched this one last night. It's a terrific film. Margaret O'Brien, who played five-year-old Tootie, was an excellent little actress.