Who Had Mood Rings The mood ring was invented by Joshua Reynolds. Mood rings enjoyed fad popularity in the 1970s and are still around today. The stone of the ring changes color, supposedly according to the mood or emotional state of the wearer.
Tags: Mood  Rings
Added: 28th November 2007
Posted By: Cathy
Posted by: Cathy on 2007-11-28
I think I was in Junior High when these first came out, I never really thought they were accurate but they were fun!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-28
I never owned a mood ring--but somewhere I still have a pet rock.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2007-11-28
Oh yeagh the 70s Yup
Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-11-28
The stone in a mood ring is really a hollow quartz shell containing thermotropic liquid crystals. The crystals respond to changes in temperature by twisting. The twisting changes their molecular structure, which alters the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or reflected. Wavelengths of light is another way of saying 'color', so when the temperature of the liquid crystals changes, so does their color. Mood rings can't tell your emotional state with any degree of accuracy, but the crystals were calibrated with having a very pleasant blue or green color at the average person's normal resting temperature of 82F. As your body temperature increases, which it does in response to passion and happiness, the crystals twist to reflect blue.
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-28
I had one in high school, I always wondered why it never changed color...it was always deep blue!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-28
Babs, thanks for the science lesson. Science was never my favorite subject. (I took the bare minimum in high school.) What you wrote might be total malarkey, but it sounds very impressive to me!
Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-11-28
Lava, I'm not a malarkey kinda girl! I loved science in high school, I just didn't comprehend alot of it at the time, but age has brought a little wisdom....just a little.
Posted by: BigBoy Bob on 2007-11-28
I wonder what would happen if you put one in a microwave? Yes, I was a trouble maker like that in school!
Posted by: beev50 on 2009-12-31
And let us not forget Thomas Dolby.