Gordon Sinclair The Americans On June 5, 1973, Canadian radio personality Gordon Sinclair delivered this stirring, pro-American editorial. He had written it in 20 minutes. Simply titled The Americans, it followed his noontime newscast on CFRB in Toronto. The response was overwhelmingly positive. Radio stations in Buffalo, New York asked permission to play the broadcast, which was granted. Soon afterwards it swept across the United States. Sinclair's verbatim editorial was made into this recording (with the Battle Hymn of the Republic playing in the background). It reached #23 on the Billboard charts, making the 73-year-old Sinclair the oldest living person to have a Billboard top 40 hit! At Sinclair's request, the proceeds from its sales went entirely to the American Red Cross. When President Ronald Reagan made his first official visit to Canada in 1981, he asked to meet Sinclair. Reagan told Sinclair that his editorial always cheered him up when he was feeling down.
Tags: Gordon  Sinclair  The  Americans
Added: 24th November 2007
Posted by: Freckles on 2007-11-24
Wasn't there two version of this song playing about the same time? Both said they were Canadians in the song.
Posted by: Freckles on 2007-11-24
I meant to also add that I loved this song then and now, I always had a positive view of Canada and I'm sure this song helped since Canada isn't always in the news here!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-24
Until today, I had never heard the editorial with music in the background. From what I understand, there were two versions that were circulated. One was an unofficial pirated recording and one was the official recording approved by Gordon Sinclair. Profits from both versions went to the Red Cross. (Myself, I prefer the straight editorial with no music. Sinclair's words are powerful enough.)
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-11-24
Wow, this was the first time I've ever heard it and it really was powerful, with or without the music.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2007-11-24
Wow Lava That was Great! I consider you a fellow North American Were Neighbors and Friends Thanks so much Awesome Vidieo I just wish the whole world could be friends Thanks again Very Good!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-24
It is my absolutely pleasure to share this. More people ought to hear this.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2007-11-24
All Good Lava Red Cross has helped Millions Yup So Good
Posted by: Steve on 2008-07-15
35 years later and we are pretty much back to this position, we need to learn America. Great post Lava, who is Canadian! REPOST it again and again!
Posted by: roseanns1 on 2008-07-15
Absolutley awesome. Thanks and god bless Lava.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2008-07-15
This is one Canadian who will never, ever say anything bad about the United States or its people. I have too many American friends and I've seen far too many acts of American generosity.
Posted by: Steve on 2008-07-15
I have always have a respect for the Canadian's and you are a perfect example of that respect Lava!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2013-06-05
Today is the 40th anniversary of Mr. Sinclair's terrific editorial.