Polyester leisure suit The ultimate men's fashion statement from the 1970s: the much-maligned polyester leisure suit! Polyester was first developed by British researchers during the Second World War. It became a consumer item in 1963 when an Illinois chemist named Delbert Meyer came up with a better way of producing the material. The new threads were blended with natural fibers to create clothing that almost felt like cotton or wool but was washable and wrinkle resistant. Cut from rolls of spongy double-knitted polyester, leisure suits came in all variety of colours: earth tones, blues, racing green, maroon, and the entire spectrum of pastel hues. Airless and horribly uncomfortable in hot and humid weather, polyester leisure suits clung to the wearer's arms and legs. The highly flammable synthetic melted when it burned and stuck to its wearer like napalm. Upper-class men were not impressed, and preferred to stick to their genuine wools, silks and cottons. One fashion writer declared, 'Leisure suits were just too democratic. They made everybody look like a bus driver.'
Tags: polyester  leisure  suit
Added: 22nd November 2007
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-22
Oh how I remember these! Polyester was the big thing in the 70's, even most of the clothes women wore were made of this synthetic material. The best thing about this was you could pop the garment into the washer and dryer and wear it without any ironing! Then in the 80's cotton came back in style and out came the dreaded iron once again lol
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
I never owned a polyester suit, but people who did said they liked the fact that they were virtually stain resistant. You could spill just about anything on polyester it and would come off with a wet cloth.
Posted by: Guido on 2007-11-22
Polyester is as you say, virtually stain resistant. It has something to do with not being as porous as fabrics like cotton.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
...Which is exactly why leisure suits were terribly uncomfortable in humid weather. They were certainly colorful in their day, though.
Posted by: Old Fart on 2007-11-23
I never had one but one of my younger brothers did.

It was funny how a lot of the older men bought into these especially my uncles LOL. Mr. Ferley on Threes Company comes to mind!
Posted by: eric1957 on 2007-11-24
Just stay away from open flame if your wore polyester.
Posted by: Teresa on 2007-11-24
u're not kidding, Eric!! i was on a band bus once . .just goofing around and took a bic to the rear end of a guy wearing polyester pants . .went up like that!!! i was HORRIFIED!!! i was just messing around!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2007-11-25
My dad had one red and white checkered Yup
Posted by: Carl1957 on 2010-05-21
I had several of these suits when I was a Junior and Senior in high school. Lime green, navy, light blue, brown, tan and black. I had those Quiana shirts as well. Remember those? I kinda miss them. They were extremely comfortable. Of course I had the platform shoes too. Parted my hair in the center and wore Brut too!