Donna Douglas in 2007 Babs64 wanted to know what Donna Douglas (Elly Mae Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies) was up to today. Well, brace yourself, Babs, here she is! This unflattering photo of her was taken at a 2007 parade in Tennessee where she was the grand marshal. Donna Douglas is 74 years old. Twice divorced, she lives in Baton Rouge and keeps herself occupied by working for various Christian children's charities. She also makes many public appearances dressed as Elly Mae Clampett. (Geez, I hope that's a wig she's wearing.)
Tags: Donna  Douglas
Added: 22nd November 2007
Views: 2058
Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-11-22
Thanks for posting that Lava, but on the contrary, I think for 74 she's doing pretty well! I wouldn't be surprised either if that's her own hair, after all, you know what they say...blondes have more fun!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
Her age surprised me. (The clothes and hair in the photo, although appropriate for Elly Mae, just don't work with a 74-year-old.) Donna was born in 1933. That made her 29 when The Beverly Hillbillies started in 1962. Her character was supposed to be about 20 then. Had me fooled.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
Two other memorable moments in Donna Douglas' acting career: She starred opposite Elvis Presly in Frankie and Johnnie in 1966. She appeared briefly in the clactic scene of one of the most famous episodes of The Twilight Zone, Eye of the Beholder (1960), in which here earthy beauty was considered hideously ugly on another planet.
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-22
Where is it written that says a woman of 74 shouldn't wear her hair or her clothes in a style that makes her happy? I think it's so much more important to please yourself rather than be unhappy trying to please others.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
I think it's a wig, Sophia. From what I've read, Donna Douglas does a lot of parades and public appearances in her old Elly Mae get-up. I bet the hair she is wearing in the photo is a prop.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
Let me emphasize that I do commend her for embracing her past. I've never understood why so many actors try to sever the ties with roles that endeared them to the public. If Donna Douglas can still command an audience with an Elly Mae Clampett outfit 36 years after The Beverly Hillbillies went off the air, more power to her!
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-22
The woman is wearing a pink blouse with lace, something any woman, of any age might wear.
Posted by: Freckles on 2007-11-22
She's 74, alive and responding. I hope to look that good at that age!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
If she's wearing her full Elly Mae Clampett regalia (which she apparently does at her public appearances) she'd also be wearing moccasins and blue jeans with a strand of rope for a belt. I might be wrong, but I don't think a lot of 74-year-old women do that.
Posted by: Freckles on 2007-11-22
LOL Lava, at 74 there is a time to come out of character, don't you agree!!
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-22
If she was wearing blue jeans, moccasins and a rope belt, yes, she would obviously be in character, but she appears to be wearing a very ordinary blouse and a dark skirt or pants. This is getting interesting, too bad we don't have a full photo!

Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-22
I think this photo was taken at a parade in Lynchburg, TN. Maybe there's a photo of her standing up greeting her fans somewhere out in cyberspace. I'll look for it. As for her playing Elly Mae at age 74, if she can make a few bucks at it, I'm all for it.
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-22
I've just found several photos of her that look fairly recent. One was as herself at an event with a friend, and she had long blonde hair, so I really think this is hers. I also found another pic of her at that parade, it shows her more from the waist down, but not enough to telll whether the dark pants are slacks or jeans, they're just very dark, almost black. So for now we'll leave this open until one of us finds something! lol
Posted by: Planefxr on 2007-11-24
Actually, she lives just north of Baton Rouge, in a small town called Zachary, Louisiana. I know this because my sister lives there. When my sis went to the bank one day, she saw an older woman already at the teller with a red and white checkered shirt, blue jeans, and a rope belt. She thought to herself that looks like an old Elly Mae Clampett. Turns out, the teller admitted that it was, and that she has lived in Zachary for years. She always dresses like Elly Mae, as that is how Donna Douglas really was. She dressed up for various movies and such, but back home, she was a real-life country girl.