1976 Swine Flu fiasco With The Swine Flu become headline news lately I want to repost this on the front page. Lava had a great description but the special characters used messes up the front page. See my comments which describe the swine flu in 1976.
Tags: Swine  flu
Added: 18th November 2007
Posted by: Guido on 2007-11-18
What made the National Influenza Immunization Program more troublesome at the time was its inability to adapt to new situations and obstacles. When the outbreak was announced, the responsibility of facing the threat quickly moved up the political hierarchy, until President Ford himself announced the instigation of the NIIP. By this time, however, the threat of the pandemic had been exaggerated, in part to serve political purposes. While the prestige of the presidency helped gather momentum for the project, it also complicated matters, since because the President had taken control of the undertaking, no one beneath him could take initiative and re-organize the plans to face unexpected obstacles.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-18
Excellent information, Guido! Thanks for posting it.
Posted by: Steve on 2007-11-18
LOL sounds like Owl Gore and the sky is falling with global warming!

I vividly remember in 2000 the news said there would be serious increased solar activity and it could affect communications including satellite, even the internet, which was my business even back then.

I recall watching the northern lights with my wife and son here in Connecticut. Haven't seen them since, but I know we are feeling the warming effects now because of it.
Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-11-18
Do you not agree that we are going through an increasing change of climate due to an increase in greenhouse gases?
Posted by: eric1957 on 2007-11-20
I had a Swine Flu shot and I had a strange feeling to wallow in mud.
Posted by: Wikiriwhi on 2007-12-17
Now I hear parents in one state were forced under threat of jail to innoculate their children.

Maryland I think.
Posted by: Steve on 2009-04-28
Critics accurately called it the Epidemic That Never Was. In February 1976, a 19-year-old Army recruit, Pvt. David Lewis, reported to his drill sergeant at Fort Dix that he was feeling lethargic. Shortly thereafter he died of something similar to the deadly Spanish influenza that killed 20 million people in 1918 and 1919. After four other soldiers at Fort Dix became ill, Congress decided to enact an ambitious $135 million program with the lofty goal to innoculate all 220 milliion people in the United States against Swine Flu--so called because it was usually found in pigs. This photo shows president Gerald Ford signing the legislation into law. It proved to be wholly unnecessary. Only one person, Pvt. David Lewis, died of the flu. Many more are believed to have died from adverse reactions to the innoculations. The end result was national cynicism about all innoculation programs.
Posted by: sunshines61 on 2009-04-28
did David actually die from the flu or could it have been something else? Hopefully this new batch of flu will be able to be extinguished soon and no more will suffer the same fate.