Look Magazine 1951 what a classic!
Tags: Look  Magazine  Bob  Hope
Added: 15th November 2007
Posted By: Teresa
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2007-11-15
Good one Teresa I can name a few of them I wonder if anybody can name all on the cover
Posted by: Teresa on 2007-11-15
that's a good idea . . where's Lava? . .i see Jimmy Durante, George Burns and Gracie Allen . .
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-15
from the top left, Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Groucho Marx and Eddie Cantor. Middle row: Ken Murray, Ed Wynn, amd I dont know the man in the blue suit. Bottom row: George Burns, Gracie Allen and Jimmy Durante

Who IS that man in the blue suit??
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-15
Lava is here! I think the man in the blue suit is Charlie Weaver.
Posted by: Teresa on 2007-11-15
and there u go!!!! (i'm clapping Lava!)
Posted by: Teresa on 2007-11-15
and btw Sophia, IMPRESSIVE!!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-15
Ken Murray is unfamiliar to me. Who was he?
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-15
Lava, speaking of Charlie Weaver, he was only a character played by Cliff Arquette. Cliff was a nightclub pianist in 1923 and wasn't nationally known until 1956. This photo on the cover of Look was from 1951. These celebrities on the cover were all very well known at the time, I'm working on trying to find out who else it could have been.

As for who Ken Murray was....he was an actor, all around entertainer, and an author. If you ever watch AMC or TCM, you might have seen his home movies of celebrities, which he was very famous for. He also had a variety show The Ken Murray Show, that was on every week on CBS from 1950 to 1953. He was also in the 60's Disney movie Follow Me, Boys! with Fred MacMurray.

Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-11-15
I seem to remember watching a couple of those films he made in the 50's, they were really interesting, seeing people like Douglas Fairbanks at home and at a party surrounded by dozens of famous film stars at the Hearst Mansion in California.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-15
I checked out a biography of Cliff Arquette (who made the character of Charlie Weaver famous). It is true that Charlie Weaver was not hugely known until the mid-1950s, but Cliff Arquette was apparently a well-known radio star in 1951. It could be him, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Posted by: Babs64 on 2007-11-15
Has anyone taken a good look at that man's features, the build, the nose the mouth? He looks nothing like Cliff Arquette. From all the older photos I've ever seen, Cliff had a solid build, not fat, but solid. This man is on the slim side, and remember this was in 1951. This is a man who looks to be at least into his fifties back then. Just a thought.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-15
I starting to agree with those who don't think this is Cliff Arquette. I'm stumped.
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-11-16
It takes a big man to admit when he's stumped. Hang in there Lava, with all the great minds on this site, we'll figure it out!!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-27
Has anyone made any further progress on the mystery man on the cover? I asked my 69-year-old father about it, but he was stumped too.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-11-27
You know how you can think and think and think about something, trying to remember?? Well, somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind (no comments) I came up with the name Joe. Why, I have no idea, but usually the first name of someone will pop into my mind long after I've forgotten all about it and then I can usually come up with the last name as well, it always happens this way.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-18
Maybe some of the newer regulars on this website can help us figure out who the mystery man wearing the blue suit is. It's a question that's stumped the rest of us for more than a year now.
Posted by: Steve on 2009-02-18
Ok Lava, I must do my job... it's Bobby Clark (June 16, 1888, Springfield, Ohio - February 12, 1960, New York City) was a minstrel, vaudevillian, performer on stage, film, television and the circus.

Wikipedia here:

He was known for his painted-on eyeglasses. Clark may be best thought of as a clown. In the early years, 36 years in all, Clark teamed up with classmate Paul McCullough. Clark McCullough performed together until McCullough's suicide in March 1936. In 1939 Clark appeared on Broadway in The Streets of Paris, sharing the stage with a new comedy act: Abbott Costello.

Clark appeared on television during the 1950-51 television season, in the 8-to-9 PM Sunday night time slot of The Colgate Comedy Hour; however, Clark's four episodes, were among those sponsored by Frigidaire and titled simply The Comedy Hour.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-18
Well, that mystery is finally solved. (I've never heard of him.) How did you deduce it was him, Steve?