Ken Stabler 1945 - 2015 It has been reported that Ken Stabler, the best quarterback the Oakland Raiders ever had, passed away on July 8, 2015 at the age of 69. Various media outlets are reporting advanced colon cancer as the cause of Stabler's death. Stabler was the 1974 NFL MVP.
Tags: NFL  quarterback  Ken  Stabler  obit
Added: 10th July 2015
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2015-07-09
Ken Stabler is my friend's favorite athlete of all time so I've been hearing for years how great he was. I believe Stabler is somehow not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame--which is puzzling.
Posted by: Classico on 2015-07-10
I feel he should be in the HOF but threw more interceptions than TD's in his career. Plus he was known to quaff a few brews.

He helped win a Super Bowl over our local Vikings.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2015-07-10
As my friend (the crazy Raiders fan) points out, Stabler played in the days when defensive backs could bump a receiver all the way down the field, so it's tough to compare stats from one era to the next.

As a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, the one QB in the NFL I really feared was Kenny Stabler. I'd put Stabler in the HOF ahead of the likes of Joe Namath and Bob Griese.
Posted by: Freckles on 2015-07-11
Wasn't he called the Snake?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2015-07-11
Yes, Stabler was nicknamed 'The Snake.' I believe that is the title of his autobiography.

I could be wrong, but I think the nickname came from his ability to elude would-be tacklers.
Posted by: BigBoy Bob on 2015-07-11
Yes, he was like trying to catch a slippery snake for defenders!