Mohammed Ali refuses to join the Army Cassius Clay alias Mohammed Ali refuses to join the Army. He won't kill people of his kind in Vietnam. He even risks going to prison when he refused.
Tags: Mohammed  Ali  refuses    join  U.S.  Army  Vietnam  prison  Cassius  Clay  The  Greatest  Boxing  Stripped  of  Title
Added: 28th April 2015
Posted By: BigBoy Bob
Posted by: Classico on 2015-04-28
All these years later some critics still attack Ali for refusing to enter the armed forces. Yet, Vyacheslav Glazkov (former Olympic hero from Ukraine) fled from his country rather than fight the Russians - he now resides in Florida and makes big money in the ring while others fight in the battle field. So far, not one word of criticism from those who attacked Ali - an amazing double standard.

Posted by: Steve on 2015-04-29
I was a kid at the time but my dad was a career Marine. This was a big deal in our household!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2015-04-29
I'll respectfully disagree. A citizen of a democracy has both rights and obligations. At the time, able-bodied young American males were eligible for the draft. Many who had no interest in the military or politics did their duty and reported when they were called.

I'm actually of the opinion that many countries would benefit greatly if every young person had to do two years' time in the military or in some other form of national service. It would certainly give more than a few people some much-needed discipline in their lives.
Posted by: Classico on 2015-04-29
Interesting comments.

My dad was a career seaman and he sided with Ali.

As for me, I tried to enlist in my youth but failed the physical test due to health issues. Still, I also sided with Ali because of his status as a minister. At any rate, the Supreme Court decided he was correct after all and that's when the dispute ended.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2015-04-29
On one point I did agree with Ali: He should not have been stripped of his heavyweight title. By precedent a fighter only lost his title in the ring, if he voluntarily relinquished it by retirement or by changing weight classes (which has happened on dozens of occasions), or if he died while holding it (e.g. Salvador Sanchez and Stanley Ketchel). Ali fit none of those criteria.

The Ring Magazine courageously listed Ali as the true world heavyweight champion as late as 1970. Nat Fleischer, who was no fan of Ali's politics or religion, nevertheless backed up his claim based on boxing's history. When it looked like Ali would never get his boxing licence back, he told Fleischer early in 1970 that he was retiring. The Ring vacated the heavyweight title and then awarded it to Joe Frazier who had won a series of fights billed as elimination matches or title fights. Who was really the champion was cleared up in March 1971 when Frazier famously beat Ali.
Posted by: Pfc on 2015-04-29
The United States is a Republic not a democracy. We have checks in place that if mob rule goes against the Constitution it cannot be over ruled.

I personally feel Ali got special privileges because of his fame and money. How many kids ran to Canada or wound up in jail because the didn't believe in this war. How many opposed the war that made the ultimate sacrifice because they weren't a minister. From what I've seen he is as much a minister as Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2015-04-29
I don't know if it's entirely true, but I recall reading that black soldiers who were already in the Army largely resented Ali's stance. The military had only been desegregated in 1948, so many black soldiers saw Ali's refusal to be inducted as a step backwards in the grand scheme of things.