Dawn - Portrait of a Teenage Runaway In 1976, Eve Plumb, two years removed from The Brady Bunch, played the lead role in the made-for-TV movie Dawn: Portrait of a Teeange Runaway. It aired on Monday, September 27, 1976. The previous year NBC had been successful with Sarah: Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic. Accordingly, another movie about bad teen lifestyle choices was made. In this one, Eve Plumb (who was 18 at the time) played Dawn Wetherby, a naive 15-year-old girl who leaves her single-parent, alcoholic, domineering mother for the bright lights of LA. Not long afterwards, she is forced to fend for herself as a street prostitute. The movie was successful enough to merit a sequel called Alexander: The Other Side of Dawn. Because Plumb was committed to her made-for-TV movies, she could not participate in the much-maligned Brady Bunch Variety Hour and avoided that catastrophe.
Tags: Eve  Plumb  teenage  runaway  hooker
Added: 25th June 2012
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2012-06-25
The following year, CBS produced Little Ladies of the night starring Linda Purl.

I was a very naive 13 at the time. When it aried I remember thinking, 'Does this kind of stuff really happen?'
Posted by: eric1957 on 2012-06-25
Smartest thing Eve did not to do that train wreck called the Brady Bunch Hour. It seem that every teen actress in the 70's and early 80's was playing a runaway going into prostition or getting pregnant.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2012-06-25
I remember another runaway-teenager-turns-hooker movie from 1980 titled Off the Minnesota Strip. That one starred Mare Winningham.
Posted by: eric1957 on 2012-06-26
Another staple of the troubled teen movies of that period was when the character falls into the wrong crowd.
Posted by: Steve on 2012-06-27
I remember thinking the same as an early teen watching these in my safe comfortable home. Another awakening in my youth how bad can truly be!
Posted by: eric1957 on 2012-06-29
A little bit of trivia. The song Cherry Bomb that was recorded by the all girl band The Runaways was used in the movie.
Posted by: ILiveInThePast on 2012-06-30
I lived in Hollywood in the mid 70s. And I remember seeing a scene of this very film shot right on the Blvd. Today the neighborhood looks like something out of the movie Blade Runner. And so you rarely see films shot anymore. I miss the 70s.