Civil War News Trading Cards Civil War News was a set of 88 collectible trading cards issued in the early 1960s by Topps. The set featured the colorful artwork of Norman Saunders, as well as three other artists. The card set was characterized by vivid colors, graphic depictions of violence, death, and blood (card #21 'Painful Death' being a prime example) and exaggerations of warfare. On the reverse, each card contained a brief history of a campaign, battle, or person. The information was presented in newspaper-article fashion complete with a headline. The complete set of cards, including a checklist, was first printed for the American market in 1962 to coincide with the centennial of the Civil War. A similar series with the same artwork was later issued in Canada. A&BC produced the sets in England. The cards came five to a wax pack with a stick of bubble gum. Also included in each package was a facsimile of Confederate paper currency. The original selling price was a nickel per package. Topps later issued the cards in cellophane-wrapped strips.
Tags: trading  cards  Civil  War  News
Added: 9th February 2011
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-02-09
Too bad these cards went way overboard on the gore and violence. Otherwise they'd be good tools to get young people interested in history.
Posted by: Pfc on 2011-02-09
Gosh I can see the PC crowd on these!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2011-02-09
To get the truth to the younger generation, they have to know the real history, which includes gore and violence. It's been happening since mankind. Sad but real.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-02-10
Marty has a point. History shouldn't be sugar-coated to placate the squeamish.

From what I've been able to learn about this card set, #21 - Painful Death was eventually withdrawn for being too gory and disturbing. Cards that were deemed okay included one depicting a spy about to be hanged and another one depicting soldiers being bayoneted.

Undoubtedly, today's PC zealots would freak out regardless of the cards' historical accuracy.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2011-02-11
Well said Lava!
Posted by: Classico on 2011-02-12
Wow! I can't believe you dug this up. I well remember this card - my brother and I talked about it all the time.

Unfortunately, my mother threw away these gems along with my collection of the 1961 Yankees cards cause she thought it was worthless junk. How I wish I could go back in time and preserve them!!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-02-12
Ah, the rueful refrain of card collectors: 'I had all of these but my mother threw them out.'
Posted by: Classico on 2011-02-13
Lava don'cha dare mock me - I'm still hyper depressed after losing all my cards!!!

After all, think of the $$$ value it would have today. Besides, as a New Yorker with a lifelong love for the Yankees, I remember those cards like they were a part of me!!!!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-02-13
I'm not mocking, I'm sympathizing.

Nevertheless, I'm sure sports memorabilia dealers hear that sad comment all the time.
Posted by: Steve on 2011-02-13
I just checked on E-Bay. A mint condition set for the full set goes for $1,500 http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-rare-complete-vintage-trading-card-set-1962-/220724229321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2hash=item33643074c9
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2011-02-14
That financial tidbit won't make Classico happy, Steve.

I bet there are unopen boxes of these cards in warehouses somewhere.
Posted by: Steve on 2011-02-14
Remember, these are mint condition for pricing.
Posted by: Classico on 2011-02-14
Yep. I've read where a 1961 Mickey Mantle cared was valued at $300.00. And I had several cards of him for various years since he was my childhood hero.

Ah, the pain of not having those cards!!!