Winston Churchill Machine Gun Photo On July 31, 1940, British prime minister Winston Churchill visited the coastal defenses near Hartlepool, England during the bleakest period of the Battle of Britain. During his inspection of the troops, he was photographed holding a machine gun (or tommy gun as the Brits call it). The British press thought the photo was unflattering and it got little attention. However, the Germans obtained a copy and thought it had potential as anti-Churchill propaganda. They equated the photo with lawless American gangsters and used it to create a leaflet. Thousands of copies of this photo, bearing the caption 'Wanted for Incitement to Murder,' were dropped over London in an attempt to portray Churchill in a negative light. It didn't work. Far from being offended, the Londoners loved the image of their gun-toting PM. Thus the German propaganda leaflet had the opposite effect from what had been intended. It became a prized possession for Londoners.
Tags: Winston  Churchill  photo  machine  gun
Added: 18th July 2010
Posted by: Steve on 2010-07-18
Outstanding info Lava!
Posted by: Carl1957 on 2010-07-18
Lava, you must be a veritable walking book of knowledge!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-07-18
Thanks. I have a kind of sponge-like mind that retains information--especially if I'm interested in the subject. I enter a lot of local trivia contests (and run a few too!). I like to think I'm especially knowledgeable on sports and 20th century history. I've got hundreds of books on the Second World War, so I'm very familiar with Winston Churchill's career.
Posted by: Hynisob on 2020-07-31
In addition to education is the dream of all of us as it gives the value to us. To have the better and the dissertation writing service comestible job with agreement of our requirements, education plays the main role. And this capable us to live the accurate and recovering life.
Posted by: Hynisob on 2020-08-11
Why you are feeling so low? I never saw you in such situation before. If you want to write more than use the https://www.paversboca.com for that. And try to give proper time to your sleep. And I hope soon you will start feeling better than now.
Posted by: Hynisob on 2020-08-14
This book will be of great help for media students. In this book many things about media are discussed. The points that are shared in this book help students in understanding the basic things in an interesting way. If you are interested in reading books as such, [this contact form provides many books on their site.