Jackie Gleason backs Richard Nixon The great Jackie Gleason leads off a televised fund-raiser for Richard Nixon's 1968 presidential campaign.
Tags: Jackie  Gleason  Richard  Nixon
Added: 3rd October 2007
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-10-03
So if you loved America you voted for Richard Nixon.
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-10-03
I guess Jackie wasn't one of the unfortunates who went down in the HUAC investigation of Hollywood. Many innocent people, whose biggest crime was having a yearning for some social justice, went down then. And guess who was one of the attorneys who made their name destroying people's lives for Mr. McCarthy? Richard Nixon. A little later on, he destroyed Helen Gahagan Douglas, running for office in southern CA, with allegations of communism. He ruined her life as well.

Lava I agree with you to a point, If you loved America You Voted
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-10-03
I was being facetious--or maybe I wasn't!

I do remember seeing a documentary about the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago that spawned all the rioting in the streets. One pundit said: This convention just elected Richard Nixon. He was right!
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-10-03
You've got to admit, 1968 already had been a very tumultuous year for the us. Martin Luther King had been assassinated in April, and Robert Kennedy had been assassinated in June, then there was widespread protesting of the Vietnam War. The convention achieved notoriety because of clashes between anti-war protesters and police. The turmoil was widely publicized by the mass media who were all on-hand for the convention. It was unfortunate for some of us, but it happened.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-10-03
Yes, Sophia, it was the perfect storm of social unrest and upheval that led to Nixon's election in 1968.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-10-03
I just find this clip interesting because a celebrity is backing a Republican presidential candidate. Today you can count all the Republicans in Hollywood on one hand and still have fingers left over.
Posted by: tommy7 on 2007-10-06
yeah i always look up to obese alkies to advise me on my vote in fact i make up my own mind what a concept?
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-10-06
There are quite a few overweight individuals in this world who have had substance abuse problems, and are quite intelligent in spite of it all. Jackie Gleason was one of those.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-10-06
Yay, Sophia! I'm not exactly a featherweight myself. Thanks for defending us portly chaps.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-10-06
I agree with you Sophia, weight does not make the man.
Posted by: Larry on 2007-10-06
It seems to me that people like Tommy 7 making up there own minds is the reason our country is in the shape it's in now.It would be a great day for the human race when a lot of people stop judgeing other people on there looks alone. They should look inside a person and then STILL NOT judge them.
Posted by: tommy7 on 2007-10-09
well what im trying to say i guess is if i had a choice for an operation obese smoking doctor or the opposite unless the track record of the heavy dr. was better its like dr phils best selling weight loss book those who can do those who cant teach my cuz lost 120lbs my dad and him are the only ones alive im from a large obese(PUN?) irish family ie:45,48,52,61,dead from food od's so im adament i realize it has nothing to do with intelligence and im sorry if i offended there is a solution to that feeling i care about people!!! again im sorry and i gave up addiction myself to save my life live on PLEASE...
Posted by: Wikiriwhi on 2007-12-20
I always suspected Gleason was as shifty in real life as he appeared on film.