The Fosbury Flop At the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, American high jumper Dick Fosbury displayed a new way of clearing the bar--head first. The international media quickly dubbed the innovative maneuver The Fosbury Flop. Since Fosbury won the gold medal, his revolutionary new style undeniably had merit. It became routine among world-class high jumpers within a few years.
Tags: Dick  Fosbury  high  Jumper
Added: 26th April 2010
Posted by: Electricland on 2010-04-26
Lava, how was it done? Head first?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-04-26
Sadly, Electricland, I've personally never cleared a high jump bar in my life. Since I cannot speak form experience, here is a technical description of how the Fosbury Flop technique works:

The approach (or run-up) in the Flop style of high jump is characterised by (at least) the final four or five steps being run in a curve, allowing the athlete to lean in to his or her turn, away from the bar. This allows the centre of gravity to be lowered even prior to knee flexion, giving a longer time period for the take-off thrust. Additionally, on take-off the sudden move from inward lean outwards produces a rotation of the jumper's body along the axis of the bar, aiding clearance. Combined with the rotation around the jumper's vertical axis produced by the drive leg (think of an ice skater spinning round on the spot) the resulting body position on bar clearance is laid out supine with the body at ninety degrees to the bar with the head and shoulders crossing the bar before the trunk and legs. This gives the Flop its characteristic 'backwards over the bar' appearance, with the athlete landing on the mat on their shoulders and back. While in flight the athlete can progressively arch shoulders, back and legs in a rolling motion, keeping as much of the body as possible below the bar. It is possible for the athlete to clear the bar while his or her body's center of mass remains as much as 20 cm below it.
Posted by: Electricland on 2010-04-27
I guess with becoming an athlete for this sport requires a flexable body to be able to pull a jump like that.

I wonder it people get hurt doing that?

Thanks for the flop-jump explanation!
Posted by: eric1957 on 2010-04-28
I recall when I was young the style of high jumping was a scissor style and another style. My personal best in the high jump was 3feet 2 inches (that was in junior high).
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-04-29
Eric's personal best in the high jump was about 18 inches better than mine. If I couldn't step over the bar, I wasn't going to clear it.
Posted by: LeanaJo on 2010-08-08
First time the high jump was done backwards. Back then they did the Scissors Kick style of going over the bar. Now I believe the Fosbury Flop is mandatory and the only way to go over the bar now in high jumping these days.