Harold Lloyd Safety Last This is the final 10-1/2 minutes of Safety Last!--a silent 1923 Harold Lloyd film. Lloyd, despite his meek appearance, excelled at physical comedy. In this movie Lloyd has to take the place of a friend who was supposed to do a human fly act and climb the outside of the office building where Lloyd works. This is real, folks! There was no trick photography. Lloyd used a stunt double for the long shots in this clip, but all the harrowing closeups were of Lloyd. Lloyd had only a thin mattress on the sidewalk if he happened to fall. Safety last, indeed!
Tags: Harold  Lloyd
Added: 2nd October 2007
Posted by: Sophia on 2007-10-02
I read something to that affect years ago, he didn't use any safety devices at all, well, except a mattress, but if he fell from that heighth that mattress wouldn't do him any good. Now they use stuntmen...
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-10-02
Yeah, I'm sure a mattress wouldn't have done him much good. Knowing the risks Lloyd took when he filmed this, I always gasp one or two times when I view this clip.
Posted by: tommy7 on 2007-10-09
jackie chan has nothing on him
Posted by: Classico on 2007-11-01
{possible spoiler alert!}

I watched a TV program that alleged Harold Lloyd did not perform the more difficult stunts. Instead, the guy who tried to ditch the cop was the stunt man who did so. Furthermore, trick photography was allegedly used.

Well, I don't care what anyone else wants to think. For me, as a Harold Lloyd fan, I remain convinced he did all those stunts himself.

So there!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-01
The first time I saw any of Harold Llyod's film clips was in the mid-1970s. PBS ran a special hosted by Dick Van Dyke. Dick Van Dyke befriended many of the silent screen legends and he affirmed that Safety Last! was 100% real. No trick photography and no stunt men. Until someone produces irrefutable evidence to the contrary, I'm sticking with the story.
Posted by: Naomi on 2007-11-01
There was a segment on Harold Lloyd on the Biography Channel that reaffirmed what you've stated Lava.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-01
I've spent the last 90 minutes reading and watching everything I could on Harold Lloyd. To my dismay I've learned that a stunt double was used for some of the long shots in Safety Last! All the closeups were of the real Lloyd, though. Nevertheless, this is still a remarkable example of physical comedy.
Posted by: Steve on 2007-11-02
Well I'll help change the subject. I love old cars so naturally the traffic caught my attention. I watched it a second time just to view the cars.

What amazed me is how the traffic flows in NYC the same then as today!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-02
This Harold Lloyd discussion proves what a great site this is. Where else on the Internet would a group of people be discussing how scenes from an 84-year-old movie were filmed?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2007-11-08
By the way, Lloyd was missing his thumb and part of his index finger on his right hand. The deformity was the result of a special-effect explosion that went horribly wrong on one of his early films. Lloyd wore a prosthetic glove-like device on his hand that hid his disability.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-09-05
My heart still skips a beat when he grabs the rope that isn't secured to anything.
Posted by: Kinkman on 2014-03-25
Not to take anything away from Harold Lloyd, but he was no fool. He tested all of his stunts and as scary as they looked onscreen, much of it was illusion. Not camera tricks, but certainly clever camera work which made it look a lot more dangerous than it was. Again, not to take anything away from Lloyd. Safety Last is a thrill ride, and for me, it's Lloyd's masterpiece. Even though I know Lloyd wasn't in as much danger as he appeared, I'm still clutching the arms of my chair in a death grip! This brief clip shows how they filmed the clock scene. http://youtu.be/tnrjyjKH5OU
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2014-03-25
I recently bought a volume of Harold Lloyd movies. He really was a brilliant comedian--absolutely perfect for the silent screen. The Freshman (1925) is especially good. Some time ago I posted a clip on this website from when he was the mystery guest on What's My Line in 1953.