Conan OBrien-Jay Leno Cartoon This pretty much says it all about the 2010 Tonight Show fiasco...
Tags: cartoon  Jay  Leno  Conan  OBrien  Tonight  Show
Added: 20th January 2010
Posted by: eric1957 on 2010-01-21
This shows one thing... TV network executives and TV meteorologists are the only people who make millions of dollars for being wrong. The switch of Leno to primetime and Conan taking over for Leno's late-night time will go down in history as the DUMBEST network decision ever. Believe me there have been some doozies.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-01-21
I like both Conan and Jay. Conan's audience demographics are much more youthful that Jay's. Conan's style of humor is more off-the-wall than Jay's too--which some people appreciate and others don't get at all.

NBC is responsible for this mess entirely.
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2010-01-21
I agree Lava, this fiasco caused Johnny to not just turnover in his grave, but to do flips.

Well said eric! doozies - Love it!
Posted by: Steve on 2010-01-21
I've said this before mainly with American Idol, this is the best publicity money can't buy!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-01-23
My two cents...

I think Conan comes out of this deal the winner. He gets a six-month, $32 million paid vacation. All he has to do is keep a low profile until September. Conan also benefits from loads of free publicity (as Steve said) and is generally the sympathetic figure here.

Jay Leno may end up looking like the bad guy through no fault of his own. NBC blundered by giving him a 10 p.m. show--where no talk show generally does well. Had Jay simply walked into the sunset last May he could have continued working doing stand-up gigs for years. Why did he insist on lingering on TV? His 17-year run on The Tonight Show was pretty darn good. His nice-guy image has taken a bit of a beating--even though I think NBC is way more culpable than Jay in this fiasco.
Posted by: Cliffy on 2010-01-24
Leno had time left on his contract when he moved to 10 or so he says. He will be on Oprah next week to tell his side. I really think the villains are the suits at NBC.
Posted by: eric1957 on 2010-01-25
Of course it's the suits at NBC. It's a shmae that both Conan and Jay are the hapless victims of their incompetence
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2010-01-25
I like the fact that Conan held out and got 13 million for his staff. That's class!