Our Gang - Janet Burston The final leading lady of the Our Gang comedies was Janet Burston. She joined the troupe in 1940 as a five-year-old during the MGM era and stayed until the series meekly ran its course in 1944. After Darla Hood left in 1942, Burston became the Gang's female lead by default. She is pictured here in a scene circa 1942. Note that Spanky McFarland is still part of the Gang, as is Billie (Buckwheat) Thomas. That's young Robert Blake (who acted under the name of Mickey Gubitosi) on Burston's right. In the final movies of the series, Janet was the romantic interest of Froggy Laughlin (standing between Spanky and Buckwheat). Fans of the series often criticize Burston for her over-the-top acting. "Oh, I was a ham!" she said in an interview late in her life. "But that's the way they wanted it--the hammier, the better!" Burston didn't have much of a film career after her Our Gang days ended. Married four times, she died of cancer in 1998 at the age of 63.
Tags: Our  Gang  Janet  Burston
Added: 3rd December 2009
Posted by: Laura on 2009-12-03
I like these Lava!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-12-04
Thanks--but also thank Jed for suggesting them.

He prompted me to research the major Our Gang stars after I listed many of them and their ages at the time of death in my post on Scotty Beckett.
Posted by: Laura on 2009-12-04
Well I still like them!
Posted by: Steve on 2009-12-04
I know I'm speaking for so many of us here Lava, we certainly appreciate the research and work you put into these! Thanks!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-12-04
My pleasure, Steve.

This website allows me to indulge in my nostalgic interests. I'm pleased that other like-minded folks enjoy what I present.
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2009-12-04
Thanks Lava for all of your efforts. They are appreciated.

I don't really remember her. I remember Darla and I remember Darla...
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-12-04
The MGM Our Gang films (1938 to 1944) weren't as widely shown on television at the earlier ones produced by Hal Roach Studios. Therefore the characters of Froggy, Janet, and Mickey Gubitosi are mostly known only to the hardcore Our Gang fans.

Everyone seems to fondly remember Darla Hood. The posting about her has had the most hits of any Our Gang posting so far. (I not surprised. It is the same reason why Mary Ann got the most fan mail of any Gilligan's Island cast member. I call it pretty girl syndrome.)
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2009-12-05
I must say it is a syndrome that I was and continue to be afflicted with. And, the only one that I acknowledge, openly.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-12-05
I believe that's called red-blooded male syndrome. I have that malady too. I'm a sucker for a pretty face.