Stanley Cup Engraving Error 1981 The Stanley Cup is unique among major sports trophies in that the players, coaches and management of the winning teams have their names engraved on it. The engraver who did the job in 1981 needed a proofreader. Look how he misspelled 'Islanders.' Eleven other engraving errors have been made on the Cup in its long history.
Tags: Stanley  Cup  engraving  error
Added: 6th June 2009
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2009-06-06
I've always heard that the Stanley Cup is more of a people's cup, being passed around by the masses to be admired and returned to the awardees. Does that mean a mistake is tolerable, understanding that it is a working man's award to the victorious team for a job well done?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-06-06
In my opinion, there's never an excuse for a ridiculous spelling error--especially a doozy like this one. Extra care should be taken by the engraver to avoid such an embarrassment.

I understand the Heisman Memorial Trophy has also had some engraving errors over the years. I believe O.J. Simpson's has an error on it.
Posted by: Steve on 2009-06-06
I have a strong feeling the engraver really thought that is how Islander is spelled. All the blogs I read this is almost minor!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-06-06
They did that to a Redwing back in 97 I think, then corrected there mistake. Forgot who, and I just read about it a few days ago Lol.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-06-06
Go Red Wings!! Game 5 tonight! Gonna be a Gooden! CBC Here! NBC, Versus, Arghhh!!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-06-06
Marty knows quality: If you're going to watch hockey, do it right--watch Canadian broadcasts.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-06-06
Detroit Red Wing goalie Manny Legace initially had his surname misspelled on the Cup following Detroit's win in 2001-02. The engraver carved LAGACE instead of LEGACE. The mistake was later corrected.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-06-06
You got that right Lava!! The only way to watch a true Quality broadcast! Instead of commercials they let you watch the intro. Don Cherry Lol! You gotta love his intro game 2 riding across the Detroit River in a boat. Hockey Night In Canada Rocks!! The announcers are not biased, tired of hearing Crosbys name constantly. Sorry for all the yapping It's Stanley Cup Finals Time!! Go Wings!!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-06-06
Thats him! Thanks Lava , that would have bugged me all night Lol!
Posted by: Cliffy on 2009-06-06
It's all my fault Marty. I hardly ever watch hockey and watched game 1 and 2. Missed 3 and 4 so I'll watch the next two. I am actually watching because of you Marty! Detroit is up 1-0 right now. Flipping between the game and the Nascar race right now!