Mr Drysdale Turns Jed Clampet on to Cigarettes Tags: Beverly    Hillbillies    Commercial    Buddy    Ebsen    Jed    Clampett    Raymond    Bailey    Milburn    Drysdale    Mr.    Winston    Cigarettes    1960's
Added: 3rd May 2009
Posted By: pfc
Posted by: eric1957 on 2009-05-03
R.J. Reynolds and Kellog's were sponsors of the Beverly Hillbillies. I'm surprised the Chrysler Corporation didn't get a piece of the pie. A lot of their cars were used.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-05-03
A former smoker watching this one would surely get the urge to light one up Lol! I love The Beverly Hillbillies!
Posted by: BigBoy Bob on 2009-05-04
lol a first time smoker wouldn't be casually dragging on it without choking first!
Posted by: Stalzz on 2009-05-09
I own the complete first season and all the sponsor commercials are extras on the DVDs, including this one. All the actors were asked to do little acting bits for Winston. The only ones who you don't see doing cigarette ads for the show are Donna Douglas (Elly May) and Max Baer Jr. (Jethro), they do the ads for the alternate sponsor, Kellogg's cereal-- which are also on the DVD's. Donna is a Christian and was against smoking, so she did the cereal ads with Max. Seeing Buddy Ebsen and Irene Ryan and Raymond Bailey smoking is pretty damned weird because they don't really smoke during the series! They also sing the Winston jingle, too. I am disturbed by all the smoking ads. At least Buddy lived to be almost 100 years old. He must have given up smoking.
Posted by: Steve on 2009-05-09
Back then smoking was common place, today it's almost shocking. I love the title!
Posted by: Carl1957 on 2009-05-09
The sad thing is that when I was growing up, I knew the words to all the TV cigarette ad jingles. You have to admit, they were catchy tunes. I especially loved the music that was used in the Benson and Hedges cigarette ads. That was the cigarette my mom smoked.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-05-09
I think in a few of the series' early episodes Granny is occasionally shown smoking a pipe!
Posted by: Stalzz on 2009-05-09
Even funnier and freakier is that Winston sponsored prime time cartoon The Flintstones, and Fred Barney and Wilma are shown smoking and singing the Winston jingle, too!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-05-09
The freaky Winston commercial with The Flintstones is on this website.
Posted by: ChowDog on 2009-05-09
I remember when I was as young as 8 that if someone gave me money to go to the store and buy them a pack of smokes they would sell them to me, no questions asked! Same for beer. Back then living in a small community there was only one store and everyone knew everyone, so they never questioned why you were buying it, because they knew who you were getting them for.