Send In The Clowns Tags: Frank    Sinatra    Milton    Berle    Lucille    Ball    Jackie    Gleason    Jack    Benny    Dom    DeLuise    Red    Skelton    Jerry    Lewis    Phyllis    Diller    Marty    Feldman    Jonathan    Winters    Sid    Caesar    Imogene    Coca    Martha    Raye    Carol    Burnett    Ruth    Buzzi    Arte    Johnson    Phil    Silvers    Mickey    Rooney    Ernie    Kovacs    Flip    Wilson    Abbott    and    Costello    Jimmy    Durante    Olson    George    Burns    Gracie    Allen    Ed    Wynn    Charlie    Chaplin    Orson    Welles    Dean    Martin
Added: 30th March 2009
Posted By: pfc
Posted by: Pfc on 2009-03-30
I forgot to add, this was produced by a 19 year old!
Posted by: donmac101 on 2009-03-30
Many versions of this are out there, good and bad.
Glad to say that this falls into yhe good category.
Posted by: Stalzz on 2009-04-03
More Frank Please! Love It!
Posted by: Pfc on 2012-06-22
Lots of views! So glad everyone is liking this!
Posted by: Alexisdiane on 2012-06-23
I grew up with and loved all these comedians.These best thing about them was not only how hysterically funny they were BUT they DID NOT have to ever swear to be funny!!! Ya.
Posted by: Suezsmart on 2012-06-26
This is wonderful. It made me laugh and cry at the same time
Posted by: Suezsmart on 2012-06-26
This is wonderful. It made me laugh and cry at the same time
Posted by: Suezsmart on 2012-06-26
This is wonderful. It made me laugh and cry at the same time
Posted by: Catpurring on 2012-07-08
I thought this was one of the most moving clips I have ever seen and wondered if the producer would be willing to allow me to use it at a memorial service. it hits the nail right on the head as the person it would honour was a clown to the end. His wife often said she never knew who she would wake up to every morning.

Thank ou for producing this and keep up the ggod work... you are way older than your years.

Cheers Anne termaten@sourcecable.net
Posted by: ROYSTON on 2012-07-13
How lucky are we 'OLDIES' to have been 'YOUNG' through the 50's 60's 70's 80's and able enjoy, and be a part of, this brilliantly entertaining talent.
Posted by: RonfromMD on 2012-07-20
There were so many fine clowns shown in these clips but so many were left out. Tim Conway, George Gobel, Red Buttons, The Three Stooges, Buster Keaton, etc.
Americans were happier then and enjoyed laughing. Now.....
Posted by: Tjdjl on 2012-07-22
I loved seeing all those old comedians -- it brought back a lot of memories. However, I’m not certain what to make of the nostalgic comment towards the end:
Where are the clowns? They aren’t around anymore. Neither is their spirit, their beautiful, exuberant, child-like zaniness. They flourished, of course, in the old variety shows. Are they gone forever, the clowns? Were they, after all, a product of a different time and another generation? Is it too difficult to clown about minority rights, free love, political corruption and such like themes from modern comedy? Personally, if I had the choice, I’d go for the clowns.
Is he lamenting the awakening of the public awareness of such things as civil rights (listen to his downward inflection when he says “minority rights”), that he wishes it all didn’t happen and that we had kept our blind innocence so we could still fully enjoy the comedy of those “good-old-days” of the clowns? Is he simply being short-sighted and selective in his memory of the past, or is he using this occasion to lament about the social progress which has been made in our society? Seems to me that many of these clowns brought on an awareness of many of those problems in our society -- Charlie Chaplin being a stand-out example of that – and would be the first to be critical of such attitudes as his.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2012-07-30
I think Orson Welles was concerned that people wouldn't be allowed to joke about topics that might offend people. (Hints of the destructive nature of political correctness.)

Boy, was he right!
Posted by: Tinkerbelle517 on 2012-08-28
Orson Welles was a very learned, astute actor...and I think what he was aiming at regarding this video was the fact that life has become way too complicated...there isn't the innocence any more..and that's a shame...
Posted by: Phamus on 2012-10-02
A friend and I concluded that if you were alive in 1965 or 67 all of the worlds greatest performers were alive.
The best actors,comics and singers etc.