Featured Member- jedwgrn aka Jack My name is Jack and this trek of mine began in Dallas in '49. Raised in Irving, TX, I am one of seven kids which made for a crowd in a small house and you had to not be the last to the table during chow time. Now, I am the father of four and the grandfather of nine and I am proud of everyone of them. Just ask me, I have pictures. My family was and is the primary focus for most of my life and kids in sports and other activities claimed most of my free time. These are the days I thought I would have more time for myself, not so. I seem to be busier now than ever. April marks my 40th anniversary with the US Army in one capacity or another. Talk about being a lifer. In April of '69 I was drafted into the Army in Dallas, spent two years in (infantry and Vietnam) and then got out. The next two years I went to school while a reserve member and then returned to active duty in 1973. My military retirement was effective July of 1992. I retired as a Master Sergeant after serving as a First Sergeant for seven years. Immediately thereafter I returned to service in a civilian capacity, which is where I remain. Today it still is all about soldiers. I work and teach in a dental prosthetics laboratory for an Army residency program that has Army and Navy dentists to include two Canadian officers as residents. I have a job that I really like what I do. So, as I have always asked myself, 'Where to from here?' Haven't got a clue - perhaps this is the last stop, God willing.
Tags: Featured  Member-  jedwgrn  aka  Jack  Nice  Guy
Added: 9th March 2009
Posted By: Steve
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-03-09
Great to know more about you, Jed/Jack.

You are a valuable contributor to this website.
Posted by: Old Fart on 2009-03-09
I'm proud of my family Just ask me, I have pictures. This is fantastic Jack, a typical stereotype of us proud parents/grandparents!! So nice to meet you!
Posted by: Electricland on 2009-03-09
GREAT!
Posted by: donmac101 on 2009-03-09
Great Bio Jack.
You've made such an impact on YRT. that to go a week without your input would be, to me, a great loss.
I think all here would now consider you as part of the family, although from the sounds of it, the last thing you need is more youngens to look after.
Even with the large body of water that separate us I feel your on my doorstep thanks to this computer thingy!
Posted by: Naomi on 2009-03-09
I have to agree with everyone, and you've given us some wonderful trivia as well! It's nice to have you in the family Jack.
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2009-03-09
Thanks everyone! I do enjoy YRT and the people here. In fact, it becomes a bit addictive at times but one that I will gladly accept. I am stereotypical, an average operator of the computer thingy, and always looking for challenging but not too difficult trivia. GREAT - Electricland, it is great to be a part of this community. And Lava, you keep on my toes, as does Don, Naomi, Electricland, Nbmike, Old Fart... Thanks Steve for your creation.
Posted by: Nbmike on 2009-03-16
Great bio Jack. I consistantly enjoy your trivia challenges, and ever since I picked out Lance LeGault from your post, I've been hooked. Glad to have you here as a fellow YRT family member, and hope we can be challenging each others memories for years to come.
Posted by: Mia_bambina on 2009-03-16
You remind me of a younger Bill Kenndey from Detroit MI. or should I correct myself...Cleveland Heights, Ohio Florida(not sure if anyone else here @ YRT, knows who Mr. Bill Kenndey or what he had done)

To Me, he was a grandpa...who taught us all about the movies...every afternoon @ 1pm, with Bill Kennedy at the Movies. I would watch CKLW channel 9 in Windsor Ontario! Or Remember, Bill Kennedy and the Million Dollar Movie
I've been hooked on you, Jack a busy Grandpa...ever since I picked out Frank Langella #5 from one of your wonderful trivia challenge posts! I wonder what other things you and Mr. Kennedy have in common! Always happy to share with you, the 3 M's - MEMORIES, MOVIE AND MUSIC!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-03-26
Hey Jed! So glad to have you here! Great work with the soldiers! Sorry it took me so long to comment. I just got back regulary, Your an awesome addition to this great YRT Family! Keep up the good work!
Posted by: Garvoon on 2010-12-10
Wow, Jack, you certainly did your fair share. I already had two brothers in the Army when I was drafted in 1969. The same day I got my notice, I went to a Navy recruiter and enlisted (we already had enough Army representation in my family ... in fact, my little brother went into the Army in 1972, also). I became a Navy hospital corpsman and met my wife in hospital corps school at Great Lakes in 1970. We just had our 40th wedding anniversary. My brother just above me went to Vietnam ... the rest of us were stateside. I have to tip my hat to you because we took care of you guys when you came back to the states and we saw some pretty horrific cases and knew of the horrors you've dealt with. You all went through a lot. Sometimes it haunts me that I was stateside the whole time during that era and never sent over. My wife and I worked in Navy hospitals the whole time and it was an eye opening experience. I'd like to add that the Coasy Guard was involved, too. We had some of them in our HCS class. I feel they are an often oberlooked service ... especially in this day and age. Kids chasing down drug runners, going out to rescue people in weather you or I wouldn't dream of setting sail in, etc.

There ... I'm done with my ranting praise. Regardless of service or conflict, I tip my hat to all of those who have served.

A heart felt THANK YOU!
Posted by: OldenGoldie on 2010-12-17
Jack...They say that God doesn't give anyone more burden than they can carry...That is wrong...God often gives us more than we can deal with alone. That's why God has also given us Family and Friends to help carry a portion of that burden.

The best of wishes to you as you go forward on this journey, and remember, this friend will be helping carry part of that load with you. God Bless you my Friend.
Posted by: Brenda on 2010-12-17
Hello, Jack. I don't know you, but I am so glad I have had the opportunity to enjoy your work. My thoughts will be with you during this time. Hang in there, man!
Brenda James
PS - if you feel up to talking to us again, perhaps you can show us those pictures one day!
Posted by: ChowDog on 2010-12-17
Jack, my heart and my prayers are with you. I hope and pray you are able to fight this ugly disease and beat it. Attitude is everything during this time. Be strong in your heart and have the will of the almighty and it can be beat!
Posted by: Jedwgrn on 2010-12-17
Hey Brenda, I haven't gone away, just changing directions in life to something new to battle the cancer. Will know more soon about what it will take. Soon I will be back with some regularity. Will post any pics that anyone requests . Thanks Brenda for expressing concern. Most appreciated!

OldenGoldie I lean very heavy on God for guidnace, wisdom and direction in life. So much so that I seek his counsel before doing anything, and it pays off.

Garvoon thanks for you're service and all that you and you wife did while the young sailors were assigned to the hospital. I was drafted in early 69 and went in-country Sep 4 that year. It took about five support people to sustain the one infantryman in the field without the fighter having to worry about doing anything else.

I agree, 'THANK YOU To all that served.'

Thank You ChowDog! Your words are encouraging.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2010-12-17
Hang in there, Jack. I'm thinking of you.
Posted by: AngoraSox on 2010-12-18
Jack,Permit me to be bold. I'm sending you heartfelt hugs! Medical emergencies is a great leveler among humans and I am humbled by your report that you are battling cancer. On your behalf, I will be standing by praying for you every single day exercising the faith that God has given me. Vigilant prayer is all I have to offer to you as you face this crucible of war against cancer and I offer it wholesomely, expecting only good things for you every single day no matter what.
Now, I don't mean to be pushy but I hope you can get back to your trivia puzzles soon because for someone like me who is not the brightest crayon in the box, my mind needs the exercise! LOL
Love, Angora.
Posted by: AngoraSox on 2011-10-08
Jack, Come back. We miss you!