University of Texas Sniper 1966 The first mass random shooting in American history took place on August 1, 1966 at the University of Texas in Austin. Charles Whitman, an ex-marine, killed his wife and mother several hours before arriving at the campus. As a research assistant, Whitman had access to a loading area where he was able to unload his old service foot locker containing an arsenal of weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. From the observation deck of University Tower, Whitman killed 16 people and wounded dozens of others in a 96-minute spree. His constantly changing locations made it difficult for law enforcement officials to pinpoint Whitman and gun him down. Whitman was eventually wounded by police and then fatally shot at point-blank range. This is the report that aired on NBC News that night.
Tags: sniper  University  of  Texas  Charles  Whitman
Added: 5th March 2009
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-03-05
Whitman's victims included a visiting physics professor, a peace corps recruiter, tourists, a high school student who had been taught by his wife, the fetus of a woman who was eight-months pregnant. Some of them were 500 yards away from the tower. One wounded man suffered kidney damage that affected his health for 35 years. When he died in 2001, the cause of his death was listed as 'homicide.'
Posted by: Classico on 2009-03-06
This bad news is still haunting after all these years. I understand that it was discovered Whitman had a brain tumor and this may have caused him to commit these horrible acts.

A movie was made about it many years later. It indicated that Officer Martinez was not properly credited by the authorities for his courageous actions in stopping Whitman.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-03-06
Didn't they make a movie about that?
Posted by: Old Fart on 2009-03-06
Yes, Marty in 1975 Starring Kurt Russell, Ned Beatty, Pernell Roberts, some names you haven't heard in a while!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-03-07
My favorite part of this story:

The police eventually worked their way to the tower and shot Whitman. While he was lying wounded, he was finsihed off by an officer who shot him at point-blank range. Nobody in 1966 saw that as violating Whitman's civil rights.
Posted by: Alcott on 2019-12-23
As a thesis assistant, Whitman got access to the place where he had the chance to do his previous footprint box including weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. We have velvetjobs reviews. From the University's observation tower, Whitman killed 16 people and a total of others wounded in a 96-minute span. His ever-changing circumstances make it difficult for law enforcement officials to track down Whitman and kill him.
Posted by: Izzy on 2020-02-19
Wow, this is just terrible. It does go to show you that evil and terrible things have happened all of the time. We don't see it as important since we did not live in that era. We only focus on our time and see it as the most important time in history. I don't blame people though. It is in our nature. It's just how we are. But, what do I know, I'm just a dumpster rental service business owner from down south.
Posted by: Genesis on 2020-06-06
Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. organic low acid coffee
Posted by: Genesis on 2020-06-08
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. where to buy real instagram followers
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-06-11
Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. part time warehouse jobs
Posted by: Hotrucerzu on 2020-06-20
That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. #47673;#53888;#44160;#51613;
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-07-09
Reliable online hijab store and the biggest online hijab shop in the world with an unrivalled and affordable hijabs online We deliver worldwide for Free
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-07-09
CTI Party is one of Denmark's largest suppliers of balloner or balloons and we can certainly help you with exactly what you want.
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-08-02
Global Bizarre uncovers strange facts, conspiracy theories, unexplained mysteries, weird stuff,and esoteric knowledge within our mysterious universe. Mystarious Universe
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-08-20
Explore the world of party supplies and be inspired by our many products for your big party.Shop engangsservice or disposable tableware supplies at ctiparty.dk
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-08-26
Reliable online hijab store and the biggest online hijab shop in the world with unrivalled and affordable hijabs online. We deliver worldwide for Free. Hijab Store
Posted by: Markcooper on 2020-08-27
The idea of Angels is a repeated theme throughout many religions. There are three types and nine orders of angels described with their roles. Orders of angels
Posted by: baby99 on 2020-09-13
There are several dissertation websites online because you purchase apparently with their known inside web site.https://shieldsecuritysolutions.ca/portfolio/security-guard-training/
Posted by: Hotrucerzu on 2020-09-16
Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. a href=https://www.jaxguttercompany.com/Gutter company Jacksonville/a
Posted by: Hotrucerzu on 2020-09-16
Posted by: Hotrucerzu on 2020-09-16
Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. Gutter company Jacksonville
Posted by: RonaldP on 2020-10-13