Newsboy Photo Another job that has long vanished: the newsboy. I figure this photo was taken around 1920, perhaps earlier. Heck, newspapers themselves are pretty much on the verge of vanishing.
Tags: newsboy  photo
Added: 28th February 2009
Posted by: Steve on 2009-02-28
Heck newspapers are vanishing for the newsboys! The Rocky Mountain News, Colorado’s oldest paper, is publishing its last issue on Friday, so many other papers right behind them!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-28
I think Marty pointed out a few weeks ago that the Detroit Free Press is now an online-only publication. I recall reading that the Chicago Tribune and the Minneapolis paper both filed for bankruptcy recently.

Times they are a-changin'...
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-28
The daily newspaper in my hometown ceased publication about six years ago. It had been in business since 1842.
Posted by: Steve on 2009-02-28
The scary part is that most people don't know the news these days. They know who was voted off American Idol than who got voted into office.

The newspaper give you the chance to really read into a story in depth. TV can never do that, they just want sound-bites. Online articles I believe most will skim read. But I do get all my news online but I do read the story.

I was also was a newsboy!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-28
Just to claify something, I want to differentiate between a newsboy and a newspaper carrier.

A newsboy was someone who would stand on a street and sell newspapers to passersby. I assume he got to keep a percentage of the sales. Those days are gone forever, I assume.

A newspaper carrier is someone who delivered papers to addresses on a route. Is that what you were, Steve?

What I like about a newspaper is that you can accidentally stumble upon a story that you wouldn't necessarily know about otherwise. And, yes, I agree: TV news generally just skims the surface of most stories.
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-02-28
The Detroit Free Press is not gone yet. But they only deliver Thursday thru Sunday. You can still buy it at the News stands. But next month they are going to seriously downsize it. I hope not to much, it is an awesome paper. Nothing like reading the paper with a cup of joe out on the deck with the birds in the morning. Saturday and Sunday mornings that is. Spring coming soon. I can't wait!!
Posted by: Classico on 2009-02-28
Rocky Mountain News is now gone as well. Such a shame!

As for that news boy, I believe the photo is before 1920 as there as horse shoe prints on the ground and there are no car tracks on that unpaved street.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-28
Those are horseshoe tracks? You are a better photo detective than I am!

So what date would you guess this photo was taken, Classico? Perhaps 1905?
Posted by: Classico on 2009-03-01
I'm not sure. The clothes comprised of short pant/knickers and high shoes were fashionable from about 1900 until about 1920. This made me think it was before that year. However, I did some reading into this matter and found that with the onslaught of the Great Depression, this ''style'' remained in vogue until WWII. Therefore, it could have been in the 1920s as you initially wrote. But where are the cars and telephone lines??
Posted by: Old Fart on 2009-03-01
Awesome detective work Classico. To bad we can't see the headline or the writing behind the boy.
Posted by: TysonNoble on 2020-02-27
The good thing about the newspaper is that you can carry it everywhere and anytime. Also they provide https://bestonlinewritingservice.com/linkedin-profile-writing-services/ to solve your quality task easily. Government and other official announcements are done in a newspaper. I like this post.
Posted by: TysonNoble on 2020-02-27
Posted by: eka90 on 2020-03-05
really nice and good post