Howard Johnsons my Dad always took us there . . in the restaurant, i always had the fried clams . . how exotic! lol
Tags: howard  johnson's
Added: 27th February 2009
Posted By: Teresa
Posted by: Mia_bambina on 2009-02-27
I remember that too. Lots of nights spent in those pools, when we we traveling south from Detroit to Florida. Some pools were heated and instead of chlorine they had saltwater. Inside the restaurant, the food was always good too!
Posted by: Sprucemoose on 2009-02-27
Howard Johnson's was definitely the place to go for fried clams. They had good ice cream, too.
I understand that Howard Johnson had a restaurant across the street from the Quincy, MA theater that was playing Strange Interlude by Eugene O'Neill, which was banned in Boston. The play was so long, there was a dinner break, and patrons ate at Johnson's, thus insuring its enduring popularity.
Posted by: Naomi on 2009-02-27
So did I T! I always got the fried clams!!
Posted by: Steve on 2009-02-27
I was driving on the highway and noticed the recently flattened and raised land and then I realized it was the HOJO's we used to go to :(

I loved their strawberry ice cream the most and I'm chocolate fan.
Posted by: Teresa on 2009-02-28
i never knew they had saltwater at some, Mia_Bambina ~ cool! and i love how universal the love for their ice cream and clams was!!!
Posted by: luvsrainbows74 on 2009-03-06
My goodness, what memories! My husband is in Heaven now, but we spent our Honeymoon in 1976 at a Howard Johnson's...thanks for posting this.
Posted by: Old Fart on 2009-03-06
Aw, so sorry for your loss luvsrainbows74, I'm sure they are happy memories; lots here on this site!