Colonel Sanders on Whats My Line Here's one for the archives! Colonel Harland Sanders, the magnate of Kentucky Fried Chicken, appears on What's My Line as a regular contestant on December 1, 1963. Even though there were more than 900 KFC restaurants in existence at the time, the panel does not know who he is! Unbelievable!
Tags: Whats  My  Line  Colonel  Sanders
Added: 19th February 2009
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-19
From what I've read, Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants were still mostly sit-down, white-tablecloth eateries in 1963. The following year the takeout buckets, prominently featuring the Colonel's face, were emphasized.

By 1970, when Colonel Sanders appeared on the syndicated version of What's My Line, he had to be a mystery challenger!
Posted by: eric1957 on 2009-02-19
On his second go round did he stump the panel?
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-19
I can't answer your question, Eric. I haven't seen the clip of the Colonel's 1970 WML appearance.
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-19
One unusual thing about this show: It was not a live broadcast. It was taped (I'm not sure why) on November 3, 1963 but it was preempted. CBS chose to air it a month later. It was the first WML to be aired after JFK's assassination, but, of course, the time lapse meant there were no allusions in this show to what had happened on November 22.
Posted by: donmac101 on 2009-02-19
A face so familiar now that it seems strange to think of a time when he was not well known!
Posted by: Marty6697 on 2009-02-21
Colonel Sanders started his business late in life with nothing. What a success story he was. Great Chicken! Dam Im hungry now!
Posted by: Lava1964 on 2009-02-21
Somewhere in a closet or a drawer I have an inspirational audio tape of the power of positive thinking called, 'What You Believe You Achieve.' In it is the story of how KFC restaurants came to be.

According to the tape, Colonel Sanders ran a service station in rural Kentucky and a restaurant out of his home. It did fairly well until the new Interstate highway diverted traffic away from his business. In 1955, at age 65, Sanders got his first social security check. He decided it was too meagre to live on, so he decided to try to profit on the only thing of value he owned--his excellent and unique recipe for fried chicken.

He took his recipe to literally hundreds of established restaurants. He said he'd give the proprietors the recipe in exchange for a percentage of the increased sales of fried chicken he knew would result. The Colonel's offer was repeatedly turned down until one restaurant finally agreed to the Colonel's deal. It was an immediate success. Soon that restaurant sold nothing but chicken fried with the Colonel's recipe. This led to more stores opening, and finally the entire KFC chain.

The lesson here is that it's never too late in life to start a new, successful venture.
Posted by: beev50 on 2009-12-31
Amazing videos of places I worked Pepsi-Cola and Kentucky Fried Chicken which I can say I have no regrets what so ever.